using same external hard drive for time machine+regular backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by emir, May 28, 2010.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

I have a seagate 320 gb external hard drive(with usb)

Currently i am using a hackintosh and i will switch to Mac in a month. In my external HDD i have 200gb of pictures-movies-tv shows-documents. It is formatted with NTFS so i use it with Macfuse and NTFS 3G. when i get a macbook pro 15" i5 with 320gb hdd i will transfer all 200gb to my MBP, format the HDD to Mac os journaled instead of ntfs and use the hard drive for time machine. After that i will still have some space. I want to use that space for carrying around documents for example to carry my presentation with me to the school. Can i use it like that? Also computers at school uses Windows, can windows read and write Mac OS Journaled format? Thanks.

additional quick question: In windows if HDD is full pc gets slower, do macs get slower when hard drive is near full?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, you can use it for other files as well but Windows cannot read or write HFS+, so you need to create either FAT32 or NTFS partition. I would get a memory stick for that though, they cost like 10$ and are much easier to carry

All HDs get slower when they are fuller, no matter is Windows, OS X or Linux

3. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

and with what format should i use the flash drive? If i use NTFS it cannot be written by mac(with ntfs 3g it can but not stable and extra slow) MAC OS Journal can't be written or read by windows. What to use?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Memory sticks are usually in FAT32 format so they should work out of the box but if not, format it to FAT32

5. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

can i do the same(formatting with FAT32) for my external HDD and use as time machine+othe stuff?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, Time Machine requires HFS+. The file size limit of FAT32 is 4GB so it's not the wisest choice for storing e.g. movies but it's good for documents etc