Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ticman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
CT
I have an iMac and have used Bootcamp to partition and load Windows XP. Windows works great with my loaded Quicken.

Question. I have a Brothers laserjet HL-2140 that I have set up on Mac and works fine. On XP i d/l drivers etc and made it the default printer but it will not print when in XP.

Help would be appreciated.

thanks

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
My brother HL1440 and HL2140 both work well from within either OSX or Windows. How do you have the printer hooked up? I have mine running through my Airport so that they are wireless. The one thing you HAVE to do when doing this, is know if your windows is 32 bit or 64 bit. You'll need to isntall Bonjour for Windows and there is a 32 bit and 64 bit version; for Vista 64, or Windows 7-64 you HAVE to use the 64 bit version otherwise it will look like everything works but just doesn't print.

If you're hooked up directly via USB then check to see if there are 64 bit drivers if you are running a 64 bit windows.

Otherwise the setup in windows has been a snap and always worked for me. What drivers do you have, what OS do you have, and how is it connected to the computer?

ticman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
CT
My brother HL1440 and HL2140 both work well from within either OSX or Windows. How do you have the printer hooked up? I have mine running through my Airport so that they are wireless. The one thing you HAVE to do when doing this, is know if your windows is 32 bit or 64 bit. You'll need to isntall Bonjour for Windows and there is a 32 bit and 64 bit version; for Vista 64, or Windows 7-64 you HAVE to use the 64 bit version otherwise it will look like everything works but just doesn't print.

If you're hooked up directly via USB then check to see if there are 64 bit drivers if you are running a 64 bit windows.

Otherwise the setup in windows has been a snap and always worked for me. What drivers do you have, what OS do you have, and how is it connected to the computer?

thanks for the fast response. Here is the information you asked for.

I have my HL-2140 hooked up via USB hub to the Mac which is running
OS X 10.6.2

Windows XP with Service pack 3 is 32 bit (meaning I assume that my partition is less than 32 gig--hope that is correct understanding.)

I would like to set printer up like you did--wireless but it isn't that impt for me. I don't have bonjour and not sure how to run through Airport.

the drivers i am using are the ones on the install disk that came with printer which does say it works with XP and Mac OS X 10.2.4 or greater. I have no idea how to check if drivers are 64 bit or 32 bit.

hope you can help me out and thanks.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Ok, if you are running XP and not XP-64 (you would know if you were, it's a very different product) then you are running 32 bit, not 64 bit. This is the operating system processing ability not the file system; that is most likely FAT-32.

That's good, that will make thing easier.

So, it works fine in OSX, no problem, but it isn't working in XP, and you basically have it setup direct USB connection and not wireless or some other print server. Good, that should make things easier.

Printer is on, and connected, should be if it is working in OSX.

First, I recommend this page :
http://welcome.solutions.brother.co...=hl2140_all&dlid=&flang=English&os=7&type2=-1

Download the driver uninstall app. Use that to remove the driver. Then download the driver only from that page and install that. You shouldn't need the full package.

Start -> Printers & Faxes
Click Add a Printer (top left of the window)
Click Next
Select "Local printer attached to this computer"
Check "Automatically detect and install my plug and play printer"
Click Next
It SHOULD find the printer and install the driver and you'd be good to go.

I am not at a place where I have one of those printers, I'll do it tonight if you're still having problems.

Good Luck. But if you need more immediate help, the Brother website has some good walkthrough's. When you are in Windows XP (bootcamp), you are basically on a windows machine 100%, so don't read anything about OSX just the Windows XP stuff.

I'll get more info for you tonight.

ticman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
CT
Followed all your steps exactly and the end result was that install wizard couldn't find the plug and play printer.

LOL other suggestions most welcomed.

Thanks for your help. Most appreciated.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Damn, I forgot to check this out last night and ended up falling asleep. :(

It SHOULD find the printer, that is really concerning, if it isn't then something isn't quite right. You said it works fine in OSX though, that really does make me scratch my head. :(

ticman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
CT
Well I started from scratch with removal and installation. I followed everything you said to do. I also did it by following "troubleshooting" step by step of uninstall and re-install.

It isn't working and I don't get the install wizard recognizing my plug and play printer. Frustrating to say the least.

Still appreciate some more help. LOL Put a sticky on your shirt for when u get home. damn snowing here AGAIN.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I forgot I only have Windows 7-64 on this laptop. :( I will have to use my work's computer.

BUT I did find out something.

In windows 7 you don't run the printer setup utility, that is only for local printers connected serially or the parallel port. I think this is the same in windows 7. Try unplugging the printer from the computer, then removing all of the printers from the system, and finally plugging the printer back in. It should automatically install the printer without you having to do anything at this point. If you have the printer window open you should see it add back in. Right click on it and go to preferences (or is it properities) and then find the "Print Test Page" button and click that. See if that works.

I will get a windows XP machine tomorrow and see if I can get it working if this doesn't help you.

Another thing to check out is opening the device manager (start -> computer -> right click Properities -> device manager) and see if the printer is listed in there (I don't think they are), but also check to see if there are any red 'X's or yellow !'s, they will need to be resolved.

Good Luck,
Dave

PS, have you tried the Brother forums / support site?

ticman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
CT
Dave,

thanks for info. I will try it sometime this afternoon and report back to you.

I will also try Brothers forum if this doesn't work.

Mike

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I tested it out with my windows XP machine.

I would recommend the following.

a) Delete all printers from the system
b) Uninstall the driver using their application
c) reboot
d) plug the printer into the computer. At this point it should pop up a message box saying that if found new hardware, do you want to search for the driver? Say, NO.
e) unplug the printer from the computer
f) Install the driver
g) plug the printer back in.
h) It should FIND the driver and automatically install, there may be NO prompts this time, just at the lower right side Windows should say. "Found new hardware." followed by "Your hardware is ready to use".
i) Go to the printers & faxes tab (start -> Printers & Faxes)
j) Printer should be there.
k) open the properties
l) print test page
m) hope this work because it doesn't make a whole lotta sense why it isn't working.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I am in the process of setting it up again with just a clean windows XP install.

a) Delete all printers from the system
b) Uninstall the driver using their application
c) reboot

** Should be clean now **

d) Download the driver for Windows XP : Drivers for HL2140
This should be the direct link to the driver : Windows XP, English -- DRIVER ONLY
e) Make a folder on your desktop called "Printer Driver"
f) Extract the ZIP from step d to the folder on your desktop called "Printer Driver"
g) Plug the printer in, you should get the "Found New Hardware Wizard"
h) Select "No, not at this time." and then click NEXT
i) Select "Install from a list or specific location (advanced)" then click NEXT
j) Uncheck "Search Removable Media", Check "Include this location in search", then click Browse.
k) The "Printer Driver" folder should be easily accessible under Desktop, click it then, click "English", and then click "OK".
l) Click "Next"
m) A bunch of quick dialog boxes, and then the dialog "Completing the Found New Hardware Wizard" should show up.
n) Click "Finish"
o) Start -> Printers and Faxes
p) There should ONLY be this printer in this folder.
q) Right click the printer and select "Properties"
r) Click "Print Test Page"
s) It SHOULD print
t) Good Luck

ticman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
CT
Dave,
sorry for not getting back sooner but I was contemplating suicide since all of your great suggestions did not work. I got frustrated and angry at myself, LOL, for doing the same thing over and over expecting that the outcome would be miraculously different--it wasn't.

the printer still works on the Mac side; On the Windows side it shows the printer as "ready" and the default printer (only printer showing).

Two interesting points. In the windows tray on bottom of screen the printer icon shows the printer as being "offline" but in the printer/fax section of computer it shows ready. in fact it has 2 old "print test page" doc sitting waiting to print. ALSO I tried to d/l the firmware update figuring what the heck, and I got "be sure printer is turned on and connected to the computer". the printer was on and the usb was plugged into usb hub. This leads me to believe that somewhere along the line the "connection" is not being recognized. BUT at one point before firmware update the test to find the current info required hitting the blue go button 3 times within 2 seconds. The printer DID PRINT the page and I was in windows partition at the time. Just passing on all info to you for information purposes.

I did not touch the mac side and assume as I think you said before that each side is independent of one another.

I did go to Brothers support area and read many of the FAQ's but none were really pertinent. The Brother's forums seem to have died out a few years ago re last posting date.

I am wits end, as possibly you are as well. I was going to call Apple tech but figure they aren't supporting info on a partitioned XP setup.

Any further ideas? Should I try deleting the printer from both Mac and Win side and start over and install Win first and then Mac and see if problem is reversed or fixed? Grasping at straws here.

I do appreciate all the time and effort you have put into this project and hope that you are inquisitive enough to want to find the answer. LOL

BTW my router is working and fine and secure. aahhh one thing got done.

thanks again Dave,

Mike

ticman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
CT
Problem solved.

I had to remove the Printer from the Device List of the properties of the PC. Once that was done the computer recognized New Hardware and loaded the drivers and everything worked fine. When problem was identified--fix took 2 minutes.

Go figure.

saoir

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2007
Dublin
Well done ticman ! I am sure you aged a few years though all of that. I have the same set up but with a Canon printer and have never had any problems.

Good printing !

ticman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
CT
LOL yes it was a long and frustrating adventure. Just annoyed that once you knew the solution it was a no brainer set up like everyone was mentioning in there particular case.

Oh well, live and learn for sure.

lostcat

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
same problem, different printer

Hi. Glad you resolved your problem ticman but unfortunately I couldn't fix my setup with your solution. I had such hopes! I have an HP Officejet Pro L7600 connected to my Macmini Leopard, partitioned w/32G of Windows XP Pro. The printer is connected to the Mac with a USB cable and works fine in Mac. The Windows partition will only read the printer as a DVR/RW drive. I've tried disabling it under the hardware list (it comes up as as HP Officejet Pro L7 USB device as a Disk Drive), unplugged it, plugged it back in, but it doesn't work. No equivalent printer comes up when you use the printer wizard to set it up. Anyone have any ideas? The printer comes with software but it takes up so much space I just opt to use it manually with much better speed on the Mac side. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

saoir

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2007
Dublin
Hi. Glad you resolved your problem ticman but unfortunately I couldn't fix my setup with your solution. I had such hopes! I have an HP Officejet Pro L7600 connected to my Macmini Leopard, partitioned w/32G of Windows XP Pro. The printer is connected to the Mac with a USB cable and works fine in Mac. The Windows partition will only read the printer as a DVR/RW drive. I've tried disabling it under the hardware list (it comes up as as HP Officejet Pro L7 USB device as a Disk Drive), unplugged it, plugged it back in, but it doesn't work. No equivalent printer comes up when you use the printer wizard to set it up. Anyone have any ideas? The printer comes with software but it takes up so much space I just opt to use it manually with much better speed on the Mac side. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hi - I am NO Windows expert but some of this last bit makes no sense to me.
a) If you want the printer to work you MUST have the driver software. Whether you get it from Windows direct or from the disk makes no difference. Also it cannot compare in size with the space some of your other stuff takes up.
b) The MacOS and WindowsOS are completely and totally independent of each other. if you install from the disk while in Windows it will have NO effect on your Mac usage.

I suggest doing what ticman did and then installing from the disk while in Windows.

Saoir

lostcat

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
Hi saoir.
Thanks for taking the time to give your advice. I know that what I do on one OS partition has no effect on the other. If you look up that printer, you'll see how huge the software is. It's a common complaint from others who have tried it. It slowed down my whole computer back when I used it on another Windows-loaded system I had. Since it works perfectly fine (with no slowing down) without the software on the Mac side, I wondered if this were possible from the Windows side. I guess I'll have to break down and use the software. thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.