Using Samsung Camcorder to record widescreen.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by stuckupwithyou, Nov 28, 2008.

1. stuckupwithyou macrumors newbie

I just bought the Samsung SC-MX20 camcorder. I recorded a short video and imported it into my iMovie HD, where I wanted to have it in the 16:9 ratio, and/or widescreen for YouTube.

When I open iMovie I selected the DV widescreen but the video is still the 4:3 (I believe) ratio. What I wanted to know was how to either record and edit using the widescreen, or if there was a way I can record off iMovie, using the camcorder instead of the iSight. Recording live from the device, rather from my laptop.

I'd appreciate any sort of opinions/ideas.

Also: The quality on the camera is awesome, but when I look at the files on the computer they just suck. Is there a reason to this and/or a way I can fix it?

2. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

Also the video is interlaced right?

I'm stuck too :(

3. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

So you want the standard definition video to be stretched to a widescreen format?

4. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

You are going to need an HD camera if you want it to look good on your computer screen.

What is the resolution of the files from this camera? They are probably 720x480, which can be 16:9 or 4:3 depending on the pixel shape. Are they widescreen if you open them in VLC or QuickTime?

5. stuckupwithyou thread starter macrumors newbie

I've returned the camera because of the horrible quality it actually had, and the trouble it made me go through. =P

I'm saving up for an HD camera now. Thanks for the help though.

6. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Get the Samsung HMX-10. Its very good for the price.

7. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

I have the same camera with the same problem. It records in widescreen and outputs to my widescreen tv with the proper dimensions, but it's in 4:3 on my mac.

With regards to quality the factory default settings suck. Switching to high res makes a huge difference. I also got a high speed memory card designed for fast video recording. Cheap cards limit the max bitrate.

8. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

Here's how to get the 16:9 back...

Open the file in QT
    Export
    Movie to QT
    Open options
    Under settings make sure H.264 is selected and set the quality to high (didn't see much of a difference between high and best except for the file size)
    Go back and select the size button
    Choose one of the NTSC 16:9 options
    Export :)

Now... is there a way to do a batch job if I have 50 clips?

9. xStep macrumors 68000

I don't think H.264 is the suggested codec because iMovie will convert it to something else it can actually edit. Perhaps IAC (Apple Intermediate Codec).

As for batching, you could try using Automator or writing an Applescript.

10. derekjd macrumors member

I would take a look at MPEG Streamclip, it should be able to do the converion (including batch I believe for you) for you.

I've really been looking at getting this camcorder since I can snag it up for about $130 online. Can you post some test footage for me, I would love to see how it looks went it's not setup in a "demo" environment.

Thanks,
    Derek