Using (Semi-Broken) iMac as PC Monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Eggbert, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Eggbert macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi there, I'm not sure how many friends I'll be making by suggesting using a beautiful Mac as a lowly PC monitor, but hear me out ;)

Basically, a couple of months ago my 24 inch iMac Core 2 Duo gave up the ghost. Motherboard issue, wouldn't boot into OSX and hung at the Apple logo before login screen. However, booting it in target disc mode works fine. I'm assuming therefore that the monitor is still useable.

Thus I was wondering of I could use it as an external monitor for a gaming PC I am buying. Don't worry; I replaced that Mac with an i7 27 inch iMac; that's still my primary beast. The PC is just for gaming. The plan is to use a HDMI to MiniDisplayPort adapter. I take HDMI from my PC GPU, then run the DisplayPort end into the iMac. Would that work? I know it needs to use MiniDisplayPort, but obviously the PC doesn't output that, so would that adapter work?

Thank you kindly,
    Adam

EDIT: Hmmm, it seems I have made a mistake. To work, the iMac must run into target display mode, but it's only post-2011 models that can do that, not the old ones. Am I fighting a losing battle here?

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

It's either a video card problem or hard drive problem. Even though it works in TDM, doesn't mean the hard drive is good. It's actually very common for the video card to fail in those machines and is actually revivable with some heat gun treatment to the GPU (which requires a lot of disassembly to get to).

3. Eggbert thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm not worrying about that machine now. I just want to know if I can use it as monitor. Thank you for the tip though :)

And the HDD is fine, I transferred everything to my new Mac fine.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You cannot use the 24" iMac as a display for another machine.