Using Siri in Clamshell

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LeeW, Feb 6, 2019.

1. LeeW macrumors 6502a

LeeW

#Askingforafriend

I never use Siri but apparently, if your MBP is in Clamshell mode Siri does not work. Is this a 'feature' or is there something you can do to make it work?

Apparently, she uses Siri a lot and only discovered about an hour ago that its being in Clamshell that stops it working.

2. synergize macrumors regular

The MBP is sleeping or OFF in clamshell mode, it cannot do much of anything!

3. LeeW thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeeW

Huh, what? In clamshell mode, it is powered on, connected with an external mouse, keyboard and monitors.

4. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

The microphone is under the speaker grilles, so when lid is closed, it would not be very clear, even if it wasn't disabled.

5. jakespeed macrumors member

If its a 2018 Macbook, then the mic is disabled when the lid is closed for "security" reasons (at least thats what I read in another post recently). On my 2017, I would take phone calls on my closed Mac on my desk but now must open the lid. I suspect Siri is the same.

6. Painter2002 macrumors 65816

Painter2002

I would add however that if you are using a headphone set with microphone paired to the MacBook Pro you can still use Siri through the headphones even though the MacBook Pro might be in clamshell mode. Outside of that though Siri will not work if it is in clamshell mode without headphones connected.

I have a pair of Bluetooth Sony headphones that I use with my MacBook Pro in clamshell (connected to external monitors), and Siri works through the headphones just fine.

7. LeeW thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeeW