Using Skype on a desktop computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by boozelady, Feb 4, 2009.

1. boozelady macrumors newbie

I have a G-4 desktop, no mic, or webcam. Can I buy an external mic and camera so I can take advantage of the audio and video capabilities of Skype? Any recomedations? Is skype compatible w/macs?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes, yes, & yes...

Provided you can meet the requirements:

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/macosx/

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Your powerbook should have an internalized mic (depending on it's age), you just may not know about it. You can check in the sound section of system preferences. If it actually doesn't, then you can hook up any external mic.

As for a webcam, I use iusbcam to make my logitech notebook cam work on a powerbook g4. Cheap program, works great. Check out their list of compatible cameras. I was able to get one that works fine at wal-mart or target for like 20 bucks.

Otherwise, any Firewire webcam will work, but good luck finding one that doesn't cost an arm & a leg.

4. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

Just to clarify; Desktop....PowerMacG4 not the portables.

But you can use Skype on the desktop systems...any form of USB Mic and Webcam should work, as far as i know if your running leopard the specs of the devices will work just fine

Logitech Quickcams, there are some for relatively cheap and the snowball mics are also usable.

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Here is a compiled list from the Skype forums of USB webcams that work with Skype on the Mac. There are plenty that don't have any "Mac-compatible" label on them but still work perfectly.

Good luck.

irmongoose