Using Skype on mac talking to Skype pc users?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by k.love, Oct 11, 2008.

1. k.love macrumors member

Well I had skype on my pc when I was on myspace. Worked great. Now I got my mac and got skype on the mac and now cant communicate with my friends that are using pc. What do I have to do to change this problem?

2. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

This is the first time I heard a case like this. Could you describe in a detailed manner why you can't communicate?

3. k.love thread starter macrumors member

I have added them as friends on skype (mac) and if i go to send them a message they never get it. i can see when there online and everything. I can also do a voice chat and they can hear me. so something is messed up between the chatting function

4. k.love thread starter macrumors member

I just sent a message and it gives the time sent... then couple seconds it turns to "pending". and they dont recive the message

5. takemore macrumors member

I have never heard of this problem with Skype too. I have Skype on my Mac at home and my PC at work. I do chat with my friends who have Skype on Macs and PCs and I never noticed any difference. And they also can't tell when I am on my Mac or PC except for camera function is available only on my Mac since it has in-built camera.
    Try to re-install Skype I'd say. This is not a general problem of Skype but rather of your particular installation.

6. k.love thread starter macrumors member

Humm I downloaded it again and still doesnt seem to work. This is wierd

I went to skype.com> download> then download skype 2.7

7. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

I'm 99% sure it's something with your router's setup. I would gladly help you but I don't know anything about router's.

8. jstanier macrumors regular

jstanier

Yeah, I'd agree that it's possibly to do with not forwarding the right port on your router. There shouldn't be any problem from talking from Mac to PC.

From the Skype site:

9. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

I use Skype daily and it works fine for me. Every once in a while, Skype won't register my built-in iSight, and I have to delete the preferences and reboot. It works fine after that.

Check out Skype's forum to see if someone has/had a similar problem. The users there are very helpful.

10. JamesAZ macrumors newbie

The Look: Mac vs PC

Why is the look of Skype on Mac so much different than on a PC...?
    There appears to be greater functionality with a PC...
    I’ve tried Skype on my son’s Mac yesterday and it looks horrible…
    Are there instructions on how to set it up better... I presume that
    those that have never looked at Skype on a PC will think all is grand
    with their Mac view...

11. ppower69 macrumors newbie

using skype on a mac

I have been trying to skype my family in Ireland on Skype. I have a pc and they have a mac.They have bought a mac compatable webcam to use for the mac. The webcam works on the mac by itself but when it conects to skype it does not work. They can see and hear me perfectly and I can hear them but I can't see them. Other people who have tries skyping them also have the same problem too. I do not have a problem with anyone else. Can some one please help as it has been 7 years since I have seen them.:confused: