Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Does anyone use their iPads without a case but use a sleeve instead?

Reason being that I think the case I am using is causing the heat issues; will like to remove it and test this out for a week or two

I just want to know in such cases, will the sleeve be a good substitute?

Also, the camera protrudes; should I place a sticker to protect it when placing on the table?

Thanks!

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
I am saving toward the purchase of an iPad but will use my tactical bag that has padding and a compartment that can fit accessories.

cobracnvt

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
I wouldn't suggest putting anything on the camera lens. maybe something next to it that is thicker than the camera, but not on the lens itself. Is your current case thick? I use the thin folio cases and haven't had any overheating problems.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
I am saving toward the purchase of an iPad but will use my tactical bag that has padding and a compartment that can fit accessories.

I am using something similar too when it comes to transporting the iPad. Just that now I need help when it comes with the actual usage

I wouldn't suggest putting anything on the camera lens. maybe something next to it that is thicker than the camera, but not on the lens itself. Is your current case thick? I use the thin folio cases and haven't had any overheating problems.

I think I need a thinner case but for now I want to go caseless first

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I am using something similar too when it comes to transporting the iPad. Just that now I need help when it comes with the actual usage

I think I need a thinner case but for now I want to go caseless first

I have so many different cases for my 10.5 - from the ASK to an Otterbox Defender and others in between - that it's embarrassing. However, I have settled on this for now - a clear plastic back cover:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073DY94FC

in tandem with the Apple Leather Smart Cover. Together, they are very light and look good and I can take the Apple cover off readily and just use with the back cover around the house. I like this setup. For carrying around outside, I use this zippered sleeve -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHJOXOM

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I used to use a Built NY neoprene ipad sleeve, and it was nice. I ended up going back to a case as it was attached to the ipad, so it was one less thing to put somewhere when it wasn’t on the ipad, but aside from that, I never had any issues with it.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
I have so many different cases for my 10.5 - from the ASK to an Otterbox Defender and others in between - that it's embarrassing. However, I have settled on this for now - a clear plastic back cover:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073DY94FC

in tandem with the Apple Leather Smart Cover. Together, they are very light and look good and I can take the Apple cover off readily and just use with the back cover around the house. I like this setup. For carrying around outside, I use this zippered sleeve -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHJOXOM

Thanks for the links, but how do you remove the Smart Cover whenever you do not need it and then reattach it?

I used to use a Built NY neoprene ipad sleeve, and it was nice. I ended up going back to a case as it was attached to the ipad, so it was one less thing to put somewhere when it wasn’t on the ipad, but aside from that, I never had any issues with it.

Thanks, good point there about sleeves (I havent used them before) over cases, something I'll take note

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thanks for the links, but how do you remove the Smart Cover whenever you do not need it and then reattach it?

It's held on the same way as the Smart Keyboard - a magnetic strip along the left side - so it just readily pops on and off.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
It's held on the same way as the Smart Keyboard - a magnetic strip along the left side - so it just readily pops on and off.

So in other words, the case stays on at all times and I just need to remove or attach the Smart Cover via its magnet?

Sorry that I have to ask this way as so far my cases need me to put on the Smart Cover first then put the case onto the iPad such that the case prevents the Smart Cover from coming off at all. Wasn't sure whether your case does the same too

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
So in other words, the case stays on at all times and I just need to remove or attach the Smart Cover via its magnet?

Sorry that I have to ask this way as so far my cases need me to put on the Smart Cover first then put the case onto the iPad such that the case prevents the Smart Cover from coming off at all. Wasn't sure whether your case does the same too

I think of a case as a single piece that covers both the front and the back of the iPad. These are two independent covers, one for the front and one for the back. One can be removed while the other is kept on - they are not connected to each other.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
I think of a case as a single piece that covers both the front and the back of the iPad. These are two independent covers, one for the front and one for the back. One can be removed while the other is kept on - they are not connected to each other.

Ah I see; I see a back case and a front cover as two separate entities. If what you said applies to what you are using now, I can try that combination out cos that's what I indeed wanted!

I can go for this while transporting in my bag, but then for higher thermal conditions, should I take both back case and front cover off?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Ah I see; I see a back case and a front cover as two separate entities. If what you said applies to what you are using now, I can try that combination out cos that's what I indeed wanted!

I can go for this while transporting in my bag, but then for higher thermal conditions, should I take both back case and front cover off?

Yes, that's it. The combination is very lightweight and easy to remove if you feel the temps are getting too high.

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
I just use the Smart Keyboard for my iPad Pro and my wife uses the Smart Cover for her iPad. We both routinely attach and detach them as needed. I don't see a reason for a back cover and anymore than the Smart Cover/Keyboard just feels too bulky and gets in the way.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I just use the Smart Keyboard for my iPad Pro and my wife uses the Smart Cover for her iPad. We both routinely attach and detach them as needed. I don't see a reason for a back cover and anymore than the Smart Cover/Keyboard just feels too bulky and gets in the way.

I quit using the ASK with my 10.5 iPP. I did not like it as a keyboard and hated it as a cover. I use a Bluetooth keyboard when I need one. I like using the back cover as it's a clear matte and slippery.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I used a sleeve with my first iPad and now with my current. I have Timbuk2 plush sleeve. I think they have different style now but you can find the plush sleeve on eBay. I was a little worried when I have to put it inside my luggage with the sleeve on it. So far it’s holding up just like before. Heat isn’t an issue either. I’ve left my iPad in the car in hot days. But only for 6hrs or so.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
I used a sleeve with my first iPad and now with my current. I have Timbuk2 plush sleeve. I think they have different style now but you can find the plush sleeve on eBay. I was a little worried when I have to put it inside my luggage with the sleeve on it. So far it’s holding up just like before. Heat isn’t an issue either. I’ve left my iPad in the car in hot days. But only for 6hrs or so.

Seems to me that Timbuk2 does not make them for iPad Pros though

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have the 9.7 iPad Pro with the ASK and the Pencil. For me, I like the convenience of being able to quickly remove the iPad from the keyboard when I’m just watching media. And having the iPad loose works the best for me. But then again, I like having everything all in one place so I don’t lose anything. I have a zippered pouch that I use to carrry the iPad, ASK and Pencil - and also my earbuds sometimes.

Anyone with a lighter colored iPad, I suggest getting a pouch with a lighter colored inside. My first two pouch returns had black insides and the rose iPad would pick up black discoloration. I ended up getting a pouch with an off white interior and no more issues.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
I have the 9.7 iPad Pro with the ASK and the Pencil. For me, I like the convenience of being able to quickly remove the iPad from the keyboard when I’m just watching media. And having the iPad loose works the best for me. But then again, I like having everything all in one place so I don’t lose anything. I have a zippered pouch that I use to carrry the iPad, ASK and Pencil - and also my earbuds sometimes.

Anyone with a lighter colored iPad, I suggest getting a pouch with a lighter colored inside. My first two pouch returns had black insides and the rose iPad would pick up black discoloration. I ended up getting a pouch with an off white interior and no more issues.

Thanks for the heads up, my iPad Pro 2 is white in colour

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Seems to me that Timbuk2 does not make them for iPad Pros though

I’m using the one I had for my iPad 4 which is suppose to be 9in iPad. The one that Timbuk2 have on their site is for a 13in. I’m pretty sure that would work provided you have a case or cover on it. I have a cover on mine and the 9in plush sleeve works. I was looking at getting a new one just not ready to part with $

https://www.timbuk2.com/collections/all-travel-bags/products/1582-highlighter-laptop-pouch-sleeve

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
I’m using the one I had for my iPad 4 which is suppose to be 9in iPad. The one that Timbuk2 have on their site is for a 13in. I’m pretty sure that would work provided you have a case or cover on it. I have a cover on mine and the 9in plush sleeve works. I was looking at getting a new one just not ready to part with $

https://www.timbuk2.com/collections/all-travel-bags/products/1582-highlighter-laptop-pouch-sleeve

Ah no wonder I can't find it, it was not marketed for iPad Pros but rather laptops. Thanks! I'll see how seeing that after some thought, I realised maybe a simple case may work better for my usage

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Incase and Tucano also make sleeves for the iPad. Good luck. I paid $5 for my Timbuk2 plush sleeve. Money well spent lol . The lowest you will find them on eBay is around $25-30. :)

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Incase and Tucano also make sleeves for the iPad. Good luck. I paid $5 for my Timbuk2 plush sleeve. Money well spent lol . The lowest you will find them on eBay is around $25-30. :)

Wow, that is a good price! Thanks, let's hope I can find one at that price too

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Yup I remember someone posting here that the store 5 Below had them in stock.

Sadly we don't have such shops over here :( Least I can do is to be erm, more creative (or simply just use a case as per usual since the heat issue seem to go away already)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.