Using somebody elses HE Discount Vs my FE discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NStocks, Oct 29, 2008.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

Here's the Situation

I can get a MBP for £1217, FE Discount, and Applecare for £220

My Brother Girlfreind can get the MBP for £1189, Applecaref or £58

According to Apple, the Computer has to go to her Address, with her name,email and contact details, and I just pay for it, ultimatley meaning that the Mac is hers.

If I did this then something happened to the Mac, e.g a fault with the graphics, would Apple has to collect it back from my brother girlfriend's house, and cause a load of polava.

It's just that it will be a lot of messing about and moaning that someone needs to be in at her house, should it go wrong, as well as rebate for iPod and anything else.

do I really need Applecare, or should I bite the bullet and hope that nothing goes wrong with it, meaning that it would beed to be collected at her address, also if se gets any info from Apple via email, and does'nt bother to give me it, could this also be a negative?

Any help is appreciated

NStocks

2. LFC.SL macrumors member

The HE discount is intended to help out hard up students when ordering their maxed out new aluminium macbook... (tongue > cheek)

You should not be using it morally speaking, and in the event of anything happening, either you will be found out or the macbook *is not yours* as above...

I will point out ordering online via the HE store means you get a 3 year warranty as standard. Applecare is a waste of money as you only get additional telephone support, which you do not need if you have an Apple retail store within easy reach... of course you would know this already if you was a student clicking on the HE link ;) :)

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

But the HE link is only if you are on your Universitys Campus, which I am not, nor is she. There is telephone number I've being using for HE, but they did'nt say that Applecare is just for telephone suppoer:confused:

4. LFC.SL macrumors member

To clarify, if you order online via HE store then you get a 3 year warranty as standard. It is exactly the same as Applecare minus the telephone support. Hope that explains my above post

I do not know if you get it with telephone orders. You definitely do not get it at a retail store with HE discount

Reading this, it would appear your brother's girlfriend is the uni student. Well if you want to get into the game of owing a favour to a girl then good luck :D :)

5. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Haha, belive me I have thought about this, she's already demanding and lazy as it it :p

So should I order via Telesales, using her discount, but I just pay for it ?

If it's faulty would they have to collect form her address ?

6. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, I'm online with applechat, they have put me through the HE store, and in total the base MBP and 8GB iPod touch is £1358.10, and she said this included 3 years part and labour...

She has'nt even asked for proff that I'm a student, and I askd why, she said they trust me :D

So do I order it this way or still ring up ?

7. omarjk macrumors regular

I ordered over the phone applying a student discount and it was exactly the same as going online. The inclusive HE 3 year 'AppleCare' is is joined to the educational purpose element of the purchase so it ought to come with it, whether by phone or the online store.

You can also ask the guys about changing the name on their records once it has been purchased if you end up going through your third party. You may be doing yourself a disservice by what amounts to fraudulently applying in your own name. If you took the former route and you then 'purchased' the Mac from your third party it would at least have a sense of legitimacy in the first place.

If I was ordering I would do it the third party's name and then see about transferring ownership.

8. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Well after a long talk with Applechat online, they were actually doing everything WRONG. They said I can have everything in MY name, and they did'nt even ask for student Proof, I asked why and they said " We trust You". Having thought about it, and after the salesperson online added it all up in a cart I decided not to go ahead for 2 reasons :

They are not allowed to put it to my address, let alone in my name.
    The iPod rebate could be a porblem since they did'nt ask for ID.

So I chatted to somebody else on AppleChat, who was very helpful and basically said that everything I had beind told was wrong. He pointed me in the right direction, and gave me numbers for Customer Services, and Corperate office, since I should get a good deal for the mis-lead info I was given ( aswell as a direct quote ready for order ! ) Things did'nt go that far, and after I rung telesales they told me that I can pay for it, but that's all. The Mac and iPod all go to my friends house, in her name. He then sent me a blank email and told me to email him back with my friends student ID for proof that she attends University, then and only then, will he ring me back to place the order.

So after all that here's the great deal I got :

Macbook Pro 2.4 - £1189.00

AppleCare - £58.57, may re-think this because I've heard that 3 years parts and labour is automatically added to the Mac when bought through HE, but I will get confirmation when he rings me back

iPod Touch - £109.00, but I think this is for the Nano, he must have misheard me, but again I will ask. ( don't for get I get £95 rebate )

So all-in-all a pretty good deal, just waiting for my friends ID to scan and send in, then finally get it ordered !

So Excited... not about the 2 week wait though :p

NStocks