Using someone else's 4S and giving them my 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zombiedictator, Oct 13, 2011.

1. zombiedictator macrumors member

So here is the deal. I have an iPhone 4 and my girlfriend has a 3G. She was eligible to upgrade and I'm not. What we want to do is give me the 4S and give her my old 4. So here is what I was thinking:

- Wipe my 4
    - Take out my 4 SIM
    - Put the 4S fresh SIM into the iPhone 4
    - Have her plug in the 4 with the new SIM into her Macbook and it should see the 4 as a new phone and copy her stuff over
    - Put my SIM in the 4S and repeat

Am I right that will work? If not, I was also thinking of just having her upgrade and swapping out the SIMs.

2. TheNinjaJedi macrumors regular

TheNinjaJedi

3. theman510 macrumors 6502

I'm in the exact same situation. My thinking was to activate the 4S on my fiancé's line and then swap the sims. Does it matter if the new sim is activated before or after making the switch?

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Your second choice is correct. Just complete the activation steps on her line and then swap the Micro-SIMs.

Dave

5. Hoyasaxa macrumors member

I was wondering the same thing, but for Verizon. Used my mom's upgrade. I haven't had an iPhone since the original 3 years ago so I don't know how setup really works anymore.

Basically, I'm just going to plug it in and it'll pick up on my number, or am I going to need to go to the Verizon store to get the phone transferred to my account?

6. Hoyasaxa macrumors member

7. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Your thread title is misleading. I was thinking you were meaning ask someone to use their iPhone 4S and then do a little switcheroo and give them your iPhone 4 back. Hahah

8. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

In the same boat as you zombie. Let me know what you did to get it all to work.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Search for "Upgrade swap" -- this question has been asked and answered dozens of times in the last seven days.

[​IMG]