Using Spaces with multiple displays?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ekim Neems, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Ekim Neems macrumors member

I have an external monitor hooked up to my MBP, which I use exclusively for Parallels in full-screen mode. When I switch Spaces to another desktop, it makes my second monitor a blank desktop as well. I'd rather my external stay the same all the time, and Spaces just switch between desktops on my laptop's screen.

I'm not sure I think that makes a lot of sense, but it is what it is. I wonder if this can be fixed?

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Why don't you just set Parallels to be visible on all spaces? Then it should stay in place as you switch spaces.

3. Ekim Neems thread starter macrumors member

That was precisely the answer I was looking for. I guess I just didn't think it would be 'smart' enough to know to keep it there without doing some stupid animation or something. But it works great. Thanks!

4. iVoid macrumors 65816

Yeah, I have multiple monitors on my PowerMac G5 and use the second for video playback mostly. So I assigned my VLC, quicktime player, and Eyetv to all spaces, so the video is always there reguardless of which space I'm working in.

Only downside is the controllers sometimes clutter up the other monitor. Kind of wish we could assign spaces to individual app windows as well. (I'd keep my EyeTV programs windows on a single a space, for instance, but the playback window in all spaces.