Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyberwolf777

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
Could any of the iPhone owners please tell me if the Icelandic characters Þ/þ and Ð/ð are supported now?

thx

henjin

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
There is a way to use Japanese fonts

Uhh, maybe he and/or his family and/or friends are Chinese? I'd really like to see support for Japanese input on the iPhone, which is probably shocking since I'm not even Japanese! The whole world doesn't speak English, and believe it or not there are plenty of Americans who speak languages other than English too. I've got friends in Japan whom I email and IM often.
Go to http://www.alc.co.jp
select tap English word entry box
Tap in an English word into the look up box
Let it load new page with translation into Japanese.
Then tap on the text box to make a new entry.
The keyboard will load with a large dark area, tap out "te" say and you'll see the hiragana for "te", tap out "W" and you'll see the kanji for "watashi".
I have been able for a short while to use online email with Japanese, an online .doc tool that allows me to type in Japanese. I even managed to use the iPhone email with Japanese keyboard but only once.
Apple clearly has support of Japanese and needs to allow us to easily access this.
I have photos if people really need proof. I'll post them later when I can iphoto them.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Wow, this is awesome. Still doesn't convince me to give up 3rd party apps for 1.1.1, but it's getting tempting! As a 3rd party developper, I just think there's a lot more fun to be had on the iPhone with 3rd parties involved.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
WOW... I wouldn't mind having this feature on my Mac!
It might even be more useful than key repeat. After all, who can remember most of these special characters and who wants to use a special program to find them or have to start typing blindly in TextEdit?

Seriously, not a bad idea.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It would be cool if every key did that - holding 8 on the num screen would offer you an asterisk, bullet, and degree symbol for instance. Holding M would offer µ, etc.

BTW, a tip for finding these on a Mac if you forget the key: Edit > Special Characters. (Although I remember the Mac's special-char shortcuts a lot better than the weird number codes on Windows.)

Lionheart

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Tampa, FL
You may be the first person I ever met who uses voice dialing. I've tried it on several phones and it's constantly this kind of crap:

"Call Bart"
...calling Mark
"Call bart"
...calling Matt
"Call Bart"
...calling Brad
"Call Bart"
...calling Barb
"Call Bart"
...calling Robert. (what?)

and so forth. Perhaps it'll take Apple and whoever they got to do their voice interface for OSX to make it work, but I'm happy with the way it is. An easily manageable list of "favorites", which is even easier to get to since v1.1.1

You'd be describing Motorola's POS software, I assume ? :)

Prior to my iPhone I had a O2 Neo that had INCREDIBLE voice dialing capabilities, so long as you didn't record your own tags. The thing read your address book and was amazing in it's ability to pick out names, and then offer which number you wanted if they had more than one entry.

If HTC (or whoever made that thing) can do this, surely Apple can. It's very possible, and it makes driving WAY safer. Push your headset, "Call Steve Jobs Mobile" and 2 seconds later, you're talking. Eyes never left the road.

This is the single most missed feature that I gave up for the JesusPhone. But...maybe someday....

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Jesus christ, is it every thread that someone has to whine about new features with their shopping list of what they wanted and didn't get? Can't even get through the first page without someone complaining about lack of 3g or MMS or whatever. Here's a revolutionary idea, perhaps to someone that speaks a language requiring those umlauts this actually might have been more important to them than something like a "working ToDo list" or voice dialing.

+1

Or how even though they are using the iphone NOT as directed (hacks) that unless apple stops their "bad behavior" they are going to Windows and or OpenMoko.

Lionheart

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Tampa, FL
+1

Or how even though they are using the iphone NOT as directed (hacks) that unless apple stops their "bad behavior" they are going to Windows and or OpenMoko.

Missing the point entirely. This phone is awesome. Nothing short of revolutionary. Apple has just cracked open the door that we've all been pounding on for years...to have a single portable device that covers our phone, communication and organization needs, and even have a bit of entertainment thrown in for fun.

Those brave souls who have dared to think outside the box and tap in to the incredible potential of this technology have enlarged our vision and made us hungry for more.

True...we are no doubt impatient and demanding, but it does stroke the cat backwards a bit when there are obvious (at least to many of us) priorities that are being pushed aside.

We're not just whining...we're consumers who have paid premium prices for what we consider to be state of the art equipment and we demand the very best. These demands are only good for the marketplace. If we weren't making these noises, it would be far easier for Apple to just rest on their laurels and develop their next great must have product.

I've personally spent nearly $6000 with Apple in the past 6 months. I think that makes me a loyal customer whose opinion should count for some measure of consideration.

/rant

mickhyperion

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
This could be handy. They should apply the same principal to links so that we can copy/paste them into emails and text fields on web pages.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Go to http://www.alc.co.jp
select tap English word entry box
Tap in an English word into the look up box
Let it load new page with translation into Japanese.
Then tap on the text box to make a new entry.
The keyboard will load with a large dark area, tap out "te" say and you'll see the hiragana for "te", tap out "W" and you'll see the kanji for "watashi".
I have been able for a short while to use online email with Japanese, an online .doc tool that allows me to type in Japanese. I even managed to use the iPhone email with Japanese keyboard but only once.
Apple clearly has support of Japanese and needs to allow us to easily access this.
I have photos if people really need proof. I'll post them later when I can iphoto them.

Hmm...very interesting. It works here too. So now we know that the iPhone keyboard does in fact support Japanese, it's just that there doesn't seem to be a way to switch it to Japanese at will, at least not that we've found yet...

jvanlee1

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2007
Unsupported keyboard characters in URLs.

Does anyone know if I can finally type "`" (backwards apostrophe)? I tried holding down the "'" and the "~" (tilde) to see if it would pop up, but no. I need that one ` in order to connect to my schools wifi.

Thanks!

Go to the proper URL on your computer and email yourself a link to that page. When the email gets to your iPhone, click on the link.

jvanlee1

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2007
Int'l Keyboard characters in US version 1.1.1

Could any of the iPhone owners please tell me if the Icelandic characters Þ/þ and Ð/ð are supported now?

thx

These are the only ones I can find:

e,èéêë? y,ÿ uúùüû ií,ìïî oøœõóòöô a,àáâäæãå? s,ß?š l? z,?ž? c,ç? n,?ñ ?,¿ !,¡

network23

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2002
Illinois
Wish they would've done this with .com

That's what I wished the .com "key" would do when you type in URLs.

It seemed silly to just give a shortcut to .com and none of the other subdomains. I thought it would be logical that the key would cycle through the subdomains and you just stopped on the one you wanted. ".com" would appear in the URL highlighted, then every time you pressed the key again, it would change to .org, .net, .info, etc. and then back to .com.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
That's what I wished the .com "key" would do when you type in URLs.

It seemed silly to just give a shortcut to .com and none of the other subdomains. I thought it would be logical that the key would cycle through the subdomains and you just stopped on the one you wanted. ".com" would appear in the URL highlighted, then every time you pressed the key again, it would change to .org, .net, .info, etc. and then back to .com.

Very good point/idea. And a country specific top level domain depending on what your location is. So .co.uk for England, .co.jp for Japan and so on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.