Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agile55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
TX
Clearly I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer + my search-fu is weak.

I have iOS9 installed on my iPad4 & am unable to use ANY of the split view, slide over etc.

I realize some require an Air2 but what can be used on a dinosaur like my iPad4?

Last edited:

Agile55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
TX
Thx lusheslewis, sucks to be me but that will marginally change on the first day that I can order a Pro.

Imrsarge

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2015
Thx lusheslewis, sucks to be me but that will marginally change on the first day that I can order a Pro.

Actually the iPad 4 does have the A7 chip in fact when you look at the specs when the iPad Air came out; the 2 were vertically the same. Remember the 4 came out in May and the air came out in September. The main difference was the thickness and weight

Bkfraiders7

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2011
Actually the iPad 4 does have the A7 chip in fact when you look at the specs when the iPad Air came out; the 2 were vertically the same. Remember the 4 came out in May and the air came out in September. The main difference was the thickness and weight
Umm no...The iPad 4 has an A6X processor in there buddy.

Clearly I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer + my search-fu is weak.

I have iOS9 installed on my iPad4 & am unable to use ANY of the split view, slide over etc.

I realize some require an Air2 but what can be used on a dinosaur like my iPad4?

If you're comfortable jailbreaking, a tweak was recently released called Medusa that allows for Split Screen/PiP/Slide Over on previous iPads

Reactions: MartinAppleGuy

Imrsarge

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2015
Umm no...The iPad 4 has an A6X processor in there buddy.

If you're comfortable jailbreaking, a tweak was recently released called Medusa that allows for Split Screen/PiP/Slide Over on previous iPads
Actually when the iPad 4 first came out, you are correct they had the A6 chip. However as I recently found out when I had my iPad at the Mac store the ipad4s that were distributed in late July of that year, had mistakenly been fitted with the new A7 chip. Apple tried to retrieve all of them as soon as they found out however, some fell through the cracks. Mine apparently being one. You should have seen the techs eyes when he saw it. Apple removed all the 4s from the shelves when the air was released and decided to just keep the 2 out as it was such a huge gap between it and the air

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
Actually when the iPad 4 first came out, you are correct they had the A6 chip. However as I recently found out when I had my iPad at the Mac store the ipad4s that were distributed in late July of that year, had mistakenly been fitted with the new A7 chip. Apple tried to retrieve all of them as soon as they found out however, some fell through the cracks. Mine apparently being one. You should have seen the techs eyes when he saw it. Apple removed all the 4s from the shelves when the air was released and decided to just keep the 2 out as it was such a huge gap between it and the air

I know Apple technicians and I have literally never heard of this happening, ever, and it seems so strange that a company like Apple would unwittingly put a future chip in a current device. A Google search yielded nothing. Do you have any proof? I feel like your technician had no clue what was going on.

As far as I know, every single iPad 4 out there – I owned one – has an A6X chip. When the iPad Air came out, it was briefly being sold alongside the iPad 2, and then among complaints that the iPad 2 was overpriced and too old, Apple replaced it in the lineup with the iPad 4 and sold it alongside the iPad Air. Still an A6X. iPad Air was the one with A7.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010

I thought that unexpectedly early release was going from the 3 to the 4, not the 4 to the Air.

Reactions: Agile55
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.