Using Sprint iPhone 4S on Verizon

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by throughthehoop, Nov 14, 2011.

1. throughthehoop macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Strange situation here - I have an upgrade available on a family plan on Sprint that I don't use, but the account holder is willing to extend the contract. I have a personal Verizon account, and I'm wondering if there is any way to make the Sprint 4S work on Verizon?

A suggestion I've heard: DFU restore the phone with Verizon firmware.

Any thoughts?

2. Grimsrud macrumors member

There may be some way to flash it (don't know much about CDMA phones), but I know for a fact that Verizon won't do anything to help you move it over. I've read about people flashing Verizon iPhones to MetroPCS and Cricket, so someone must have done this or be working on it.

3. blacka4 macrumors 6502

it should work. It will just say Sprint in the carrier name. I took alltel phones and activated them on Verizon, and the same for sprint phones.

I say try and see what happens.

4. throughthehoop thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, there's always the 14 day return policy with Sprint

5. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think it is a bit more involved than that, since CDMA uses ESN numbers to identify phones in there system. My understanding is that, once that phone's ESN has been identified with sprints network, u pretty much HAVE TO KNOW SOMEONE, with the know how, or technical prowess to get that ESN in Verizon's system. This may or may not be right, but I think it is. Go ahead and buy the phone, if u can't get it to work, sell it for a nice profit and buy the Verizon phone out right.