Using Startup disk from new mini mac to update my MacBook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mikeb530, Jan 2, 2009.

1. mikeb530 macrumors newbie

Well the thread name explains most of what I want.

I just purchased a Mini Mac for family use that came with Leopard. I would like to know if their is a way to use the disks that came with the Mini Mac to update my MacBook?

Thank you for the Help!

Mike

2. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I don't believe so. If I am wrong, someone will likely correct me, but I think since the chipsets are different between the two machines, the install discs will not serve your needs on the MacBook.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

It is a violation of the EULA to do so. If you want Leopard on the MacBook buy it.

The install disks are only for the system they are shipped with. To Install Leopard successfully you need the black retail disk.

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...this question gets asked several times every week with the same responses - you really ought to search the forums before starting a thread like this.

The disks that come bundled with a specific computer are "keyed" to that model and can't be installed on a different computer, and as has been said, having those disks does *not* entitle you to install them wherever you like and on however many computers you like - there is such a thing as a license agreement and it really ought to be paid attention to...oh yeah!

5. mikeb530 thread starter macrumors newbie