Using Steam on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flimzy, Jul 18, 2014.

1. flimzy macrumors regular

My father told me not to install steam the online game downloader. Apparently he thinks it causes viruses. Does anyone have any info on this?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's false. Steam is a very popular gaming portal and many, many people here use it. Not to mention there are no viruses for the Mac.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your father is largely incorrect on this. Steam is a rather safe storefront for purchasing and downloading games. While Steam games can become infected through third party downloads, games and media from Steam itself is safe and clean. If using the Mac version of Steam, there is even less to worry about as Mac OS X has a high resistance to malware due to its UNIX subsystem.

4. artfun macrumors member

And even if there are viruses for mac most of us don't have antivirus to tell so.

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Well I got 4 viruses from Mail app. Anyway I still play some games from Stream all the times. So enjoy playing games. :apple:

6. flimzy thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. As you probably know, parents are stubborn, just like young children. It's difficult to convince them. This is my college laptop so he thinks I'll screw it up for college and waste money by purchasing games and using steam.

EDIT: Thanks to all!

7. afseale macrumors newbie

I think he may be worried you'll play games......and not study ;)

8. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

People need to stop spreading this misinformation. There very much are virus' on the Mac, some rather nasty ones as that.

They are only less common.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Do share the active viruses making their way across OS X platforms right now.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There are no viruses in the wild for OS X. There are various malware in the wild, i.e., trojans, and what not but not viruses.

If you think its misinformation, what viruses are out there right now for OS X?

11. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Not just less common, but unheard of in recent years.

A nice article:

http://fortune.com/2009/09/02/why-are-there-no-mac-viruses/

12. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I've never seen one in the wild - they've been theoretical proof of concepts. Yeah, there's been the odd bit of web-malware due to bad security in web browser plugins but Apple patched OS X within a few days to stop them.

Once they turn up in the wild and start spreading then I'll install some AV software. I've been fine from 2006 to the present day without.

13. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Steam is a multi-billion dollar company and the biggest legal distributor of games available. If you download it from the main steam website, it is fine. Also, many games actually require steam in order to run.