Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blake 125

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Indiana
I just ordered an iPhone 6s through the Apple Store and chose T Mobile as my carrier due to the fact that they are unlocked if paid in full. I've seen other people use AT&T SIM cards with the T Mobile phone but I'm scared that the Straight Talk nano sim will not work with it. I currently have an iPhone 4 with no sim and have been told I can transfer my number once I get the Straight Talk nano sim and put it in the iPhone 6s. I am really going to be disappointed if I can't use Straight Talk with my new iPhone 6s (which won't be delivered for 3 weeks) wont activate with the Straight Talk SIM card. Has anyone successfully used Straight Talk with an IPhone 6s? I'm fuzzy on the ins and outs of how it all works so please excuse me if some of my questions sound silly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

89legendcoupe

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
2 years in a row I have ordered the T-mobile iphone 6 and 6S+ on launch day. The straight talk sim card for AT&T worked perfect. Just insert the sim card and you may have to load carrier settings if it doesn't automatically(this year it was automatic)

7roca7

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015
I had straight talk also. Was going to use the sim with the new 6s+, but called first to find out if that was possible?
I was told i have to have a new sim card, because the old one was tied into the iPhone 5 i was using? Price was 99 cent's. At least that's what i got out of the conversation.
Since i didn't have an account with one of the 4 carriers i wasn't allowed to use Apple's update program, so i just paid full price for the phone +Apple Care.
Immediately after i was done with the sale's person from Apple i went to the AT&T store across the street and purchased a GoPhone plan. I was just fed up with trying to talk to some one that couldn't understand what i was asking, and i alway's had to have them repeat them self's a few time's so i could understand them.
The sale's person at Apple told me the phone's are made to work with any service, and all you need is a sim card from that carrier.
The only problem i had with AT&T was that they own straight talk, and the sale's person at the time didn't know if they would allow my old number be ported over to the new
iPhone. When they entered my info at first they declined, then he made a call to someone that handle's that, and they ok'd it.

Blake 125

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Indiana
I had straight talk also. Was going to use the sim with the new 6s+, but called first to find out if that was possible?
I was told i have to have a new sim card, because the old one was tied into the iPhone 5 i was using? Price was 99 cent's. At least that's what i got out of the conversation.
Since i didn't have an account with one of the 4 carriers i wasn't allowed to use Apple's update program, so i just paid full price for the phone +Apple Care.
Immediately after i was done with the sale's person from Apple i went to the AT&T store across the street and purchased a GoPhone plan. I was just fed up with trying to talk to some one that couldn't understand what i was asking, and i alway's had to have them repeat them self's a few time's so i could understand them.
The sale's person at Apple told me the phone's are made to work with any service, and all you need is a sim card from that carrier.
The only problem i had with AT&T was that they own straight talk, and the sale's person at the time didn't know if they would allow my old number be ported over to the new
iPhone. When they entered my info at first they declined, then he made a call to someone that handle's that, and they ok'd it.
I was just going to get the Straight Talk Nano SIM card for T Mobile. Is there a reason to use the Straight Talk nano sim for AT&T as opposed to the Straight Talk nano SIM card for T Mobile phones given that it is a T Mobile phone bought from Apple? Thank you so much for your reply!

Blake 125

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Indiana
2 years in a row I have ordered the T-mobile iphone 6 and 6S+ on launch day. The straight talk sim card for AT&T worked perfect. Just insert the sim card and you may have to load carrier settings if it doesn't automatically(this year it was automatic)
I'm sorry the above question was directed at you. I quoted the wrong person. I appreciate all of the help. It's eased my mind a bit, I just need to know whether to buy the Straight Talk SIM card for AT&T phones or the Straight Talk SIM card for T Mobile phones given that it is a T Mobile phone (though since it is unlocked I suppose it doesn't matter though I'm not sure)".

7roca7

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015
I honestly don't know much about the sim card's, but i think they use the number for their sim to activate the service.
On My AT&T unlocked phone there were setting's i needed to reset for the phone to work properly. I went to T-Mobile and they gave me a free sim card, i inserted it into my sim slot, and the setting's i needed to change popped up.
I found all the info on YouTube, and the phone worked perfect. This was one of the video's i watched. You might enter how to do it with a T-Mobile

Activating your Straight Talk Sim and iPhone

JRESHOW

89legendcoupe

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
I'm sorry the above question was directed at you. I quoted the wrong person. I appreciate all of the help. It's eased my mind a bit, I just need to know whether to buy the Straight Talk SIM card for AT&T phones or the Straight Talk SIM card for T Mobile phones given that it is a T Mobile phone (though since it is unlocked I suppose it doesn't matter though I'm not sure)".
Sorry for the late reply I'm not on here all the time. I used the straight talk AT&T card for better service. Straight talk charges the same amount of money so why not, that is unless t-mobile works better in your area. I have had straight talk for about 4 years now I started with an iphone 4S, then last year I upgraded to an iphone 6. I had to order a nano sim card from straight talk but I just switched my service(same phone number) from one sim card to the other which was easy to do online. The t-mobile phones are unlocked and actually if you pay full price they all should be; its just easier to buy a t-mobile phone with out any hassle on launch day. I bought the 6S+ this year and simply swapped my sim card from the 6 to the 6S+ and my wife took over the 6.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Since i didn't have an account with one of the 4 carriers i wasn't allowed to use Apple's update program, so i just paid full price for the phone +Apple Care. Immediately after i was done with the sale's person from Apple i went to the AT&T store across the street and purchased a GoPhone plan.

Which phone (AT&T/T-Mobile?) did you buy to use with the GoPhone plan? I have a GoPhone plan with my current phone and want to make sure I get the right one.

Blake 125

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Indiana
Sorry for the late reply I'm not on here all the time. I used the straight talk AT&T card for better service. Straight talk charges the same amount of money so why not, that is unless t-mobile works better in your area. I have had straight talk for about 4 years now I started with an iphone 4S, then last year I upgraded to an iphone 6. I had to order a nano sim card from straight talk but I just switched my service(same phone number) from one sim card to the other which was easy to do online. The t-mobile phones are unlocked and actually if you pay full price they all should be; its just easier to buy a t-mobile phone with out any hassle on launch day. I bought the 6S+ this year and simply swapped my sim card from the 6 to the 6S+ and my wife took over the 6.
Thank you. You've put my mind at ease. I've been afraid that I will discover that I can't use Straight Talk with my iPhone once it arrives (hopefully by end of week). I will be very disappointed if I have to send it back. It's funny but I trust people online more than representatives from t mobile and Apple who said it wouldn't work (though one person at Apple said it would).

To the smart aleck who asked about Straight Talk, it's a cheap prepaid plan.

Blake 125

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Indiana
Well I got my phone today and AT&T SIM card yesterday. Everything works great and went smooth. I was a little worried at first because it was having problems porting over and took longer than I thought it would. It's funny they don't advertise this because I think more people would buy if they knew they could use any carrier. Instead, Apple and T Mobile both denied this loophole existed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.