Carrier Using T-Mobile prepaid iPad in Europe

Discussion in 'iPad' started by YMark, May 29, 2014.

1. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I'm leaving for Europe next week and would like to use my prepaid iPad (T-Mobile) when I get there. Can someone give me the details on how to go about this?

Purchased the iPad from Apple, do I need to get it unlocked?
    TMO said I would have to get a new SIM for my iPad and convert from Prepaid to a Postpaid plan. I'm thinking it would be easier to just get a SIM in Europe. I want to go back to my free 500 MB when I return in a month.

Thanks for any help.

2. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Your iPad is already unlocked, (all iPads are unlocked). You would get slow speeds on a Postpaid plan with the free international data and would have to pay extra for higher speed.

Depending on what countries you were traveling to it may be cheaper to purchase a data SIM card when you arrive, but you would need one for each country.

Once you return and put your TMO sim back in, you would resume with your free 200 MB of data.

3. YMark thread starter macrumors 6502a

YMark

I'll be traveling to France and Spain. I assume I can just purchase a SIM when I get there and use 4G data?

EDIT: I just remembered I have a Verizon iPad with a TMO SIM if that matters.

4. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Yes, just look for the cell phone sales booth at the airport or train station etc. and they should be able to help you with a SIM card for your duration. However, it may just be 3G Data.

5. Imaginator macrumors regular

I just spent 2 weeks in Europe with my T-Mobile iPads and got 3G pretty much everywhere. They say 2G speeds on the site but I got really fast 3G for free for the whole time I was abroad.

6. YMark thread starter macrumors 6502a

YMark

Did you purchase a SIM card in Europe or use the one from USA.

7. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

We're you on the post paid plan? And what countries did you visit? I'm traveling to Switzerland and Germany in the fall and may sign up for one of their plans.