Using T-Mobile without EDGE on iPhone 1st Gen

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by asdfTT123, Aug 1, 2008.

1. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

I just purchased a use unlocked and jailbroken iPhone 8GB 1st Gen a few hours ago. I intend to use this unit with my current T-Mobile plan for a few months before switching services. My plan is very basic without data (EDGE), and only a handful of text messages. I want to avoid all unnecessary charges as possible. My question is as long as I turn off EDGE though Bossprefs and use internet through Wifi should I get any extraneous charges? Are there any other precautions I should take? I also know that iPhone uses visual voicemail...is it possible for T-Mobile to charge me for something similar for just checking my voicemail? Is there anything else I'm missing? Any tips would be great...thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you select Voice Mail on a network without VisualVoicemail (which uses EDGE) it will dial your Voice Mail system (basically your own phone number).

TEG

3. asdfTT123 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tidbit of info regarding visual voicemail! Does anyone have any suggestions regarding EDGE or any other problems I might encounter?

4. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

I don't think that you'd have trouble. If you want to be safe, you could just get the $5.99/mo package, and be sure that it won't charge you a ton. If you turn off EDGE, though, you should be fine.