Using tape to protect the steel band while inside a case...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by musika, Oct 10, 2011.

1. musika macrumors 65816

musika

So I'm planning on using a case such as the Speck Pixelskin HD. I'm aware that this may allow dust to get into the case and scratch the stainless steel band. :O

I can't let this happen, so, if I cut up some scotch tape and place it on the steel band while it's in the case, it should protect it, right?

Everything should be dandy?

If not, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

2. RyCan3 macrumors 6502

RyCan3

Haha i was just thinking this. I'm going to order off bestskinever.com It comes with all sides and front and back but I'm just going to use the sides. It's like $7 total

3. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wow paranoid much? Why don't you just keep it unopened in it's box and store it in a safety deposit box at the bank? That way you have a good chance of keeping it like new.

BTW I know that Clear Coat makes it's skins cover the metal antenna in small strips.

4. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Opinionated much? It's his phone, he has every right to take as good or as bad care of it as he wants. Remind me again why keeping valuable electronics in pristine condition (especially when their resale value is extraordinarily high) is somehow a negative?

5. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

I have had my iPhone 4 in a speck case for over a year, no scratches

:apple:

6. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

I have OCD, it's difficult and trust me I'd rather not have to deal with this but I guess we all have our stuff ;)

Thanks for letting me know about Clear Coat... I'll check that out. And will that fit all well and good inside the case?

----------

Making me very happy right now :D How do you like the case, btw?

7. WiLLGT09 macrumors regular

WiLLGT09

:confused: It's in a case. IF the metal gets a tiny bit scratched, which sounds odd to begin with if you put the case on when the phone is new and you never take it off, why would it ever get scratched? Plus, you can't see the scratches; the case is there.

It's a phone, not a Fabergé egg.

8. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

hey bud, it's "safe" deposit box

9. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

Wow that sounds great, I'll absolutely check those out. Thanks!

----------

Dirt gets in the case, moves around --- scratches it.

I know I wouldn't see it all the time, but knowing its scratched will be frustrating enough.

----------

Thank you ;)

Yes, we are all entitled to treat our devices as we wish. Whatever makes us happy.

10. Sarngate macrumors regular

Safety deposit box is perfectly fine too. Bud.

11. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

love it, have the candyshell case too

12. WiLLGT09 macrumors regular

WiLLGT09

Yeah, to each his own. I don't plan on reselling my iPhone so keeping it pristine doesn't matter as much to me. That said, I don't tend to bash my gadgets about. I guess I'm pretty paranoid about my cameras in the same way, actually.

13. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

Great! It was between those two for me, chose the Pixelskin because it's thinner/sleeker, isn't as hard to take off (I'd be scared s**tless with the Candyshell, from what I've heard) and also its got quite the cool, modern, interesting yet simple design I was looking for.

Thanks for your input!

14. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I do just this.

Easiest method to apply is a scotch tape and a razor blade.

Cut your sections and place the strip on the steel band. The. Take the razor blade and run down the side for the perfect fit.

4 sections in total.

Works very well to protect the band from polishing that happens with bumpers. I suspect it will work the same for cases.

Just for reference. I pulled the tape off the other day to sell my 4 and it was mint.

15. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

Great to hear, thanks so much for your input.

I actually currently use tape to protect the back of my white 3GS from the marks that the Incase slider leave on the plastic of the 3GS. So I was thinking I'd do the same on the sides of my new 4s.

Hopefully it works great.