Using Target Disk Mode with rMB (USB-C)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BeatCrazy, Jun 16, 2016.

1. BeatCrazy macrumors 6502a

So, my 2016 rMB arrives today. I'll be initially using it for light editing in iMovie for some simple iPhone-shot videos away from home. I already have a Late 2014 Mac mini and Late 2013 Mac Pro. They are connected via Thunderbolt 2, and (most of the time) Target Disk Mode works well when I need to move large files between the two.

I understand the included OEM Apple USB-C cable does not support TDM. I plan on getting the $79 Apple HDMI multiport adapter. If I get a proper USB-C to USB-A cable, do you think that TDM will work reliably with my other Macs? Any hands on experience is appreciated.

2. coreyk macrumors newbie

coreyk

I haven't personally tried it, but when I was researching it for my rMB 2015 to 2016 migration, I came across this article from Apple. Scroll down to the "Learn More" section at the bottom of the page.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204360

Your MacBook with USB-C port supports USB target disk mode. You can enable target disk mode and use the following USB-C cables to transfer data. These cables are not currently available from Apple.

• USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 USB-A to USB-C Cable: Use this cable to manually transfer data from any Mac notebook with USB-A port(s) to your MacBook with USB-C port. This cable cannot be used to migrate data using the Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant application.
    • USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 USB-C Cable (USB-C to USB-C): Use this cable to migrate data from any MacBook with a USB-C port to another MacBook with USB-C port using the Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant application.
    To enable target disk mode, hold down the T button on your keyboard while starting your MacBook. Then connect either of the USB-C cables described above. The USB-C Charge Cable (2m) supplied with your MacBook doesn't support target disk mode.​

3. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I did see that page. I was hoping someone had actual experience doing it, and can recommend an appropriate cable.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

5. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I also found this review for a similar cable, which confirms testing of TDM.

I was wondering if I could use the Apple USB-C Digital AV multiport adapter with a regular USB 3.0 type A to A cable, and still do TDM? In other words, does Apple's adapter allow for TDM pass-through, or do you have to connect the (proper USB-C to USB-A) cable to the rMB directly?

6. KPOM macrumors G5

I don't think a USB-A to USB-A cable would work through the USB-C Digital AV adapter.

7. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you think that's because it has to pass through the adapter, or a limitation of a USB-A to USB-A cable?

8. KPOM macrumors G5

The data cables need to be specifically designed for that purpose. I haven't seen many USB-A to USB-A cables (where both have the same plug at the end).

9. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually mistakenly bought one like this a while ago.