Using TC as a NAS - is it possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by s1lv3r, Jul 28, 2012.

1. s1lv3r macrumors member

s1lv3r

I've got a 2012 Air with 128gb SSD only and I'm considering buying a Time Capsule to store my iPhoto and ITunes libraries and save some space.

I'm planning to use 300gb for backup and the rest to store my stuff.

The idea is to access all files from my Air and also my musics/videos from my Apple TV.

Is the TC capable of doing that w/out losing performance/transfer speeds? if not, what do you recommend to me? Don't want to spend more than 400-500USD.

Thanks guys!

2. s1lv3r thread starter macrumors member

s1lv3r

Just to be more especific, I'll be replacing my old router by the Time Capsule.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

A TC is essentially a NAS. One problem... the data will not be backed up... and even if you could do that... it is pointless to back up data to the same drive where the data already exists.

I do use TC's for backup... but I choose to not put other data on the drive.

/Jim

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can get a Synology DS212+ for 339 or a DS212J for $204 or a Qnap TS-219PII for 299 at newegg (in all cases, you'll have to buy a pair of drives to go with them).

I think those items area superior NAS, then what TC offers. Do you want a NAS, or can you get away with an external disk? That will be cheaper.

5. s1lv3r thread starter macrumors member

s1lv3r

In fact I won't be mad if I loose all my movies and music - most of them can be re-downloaded. The major problem are my pics, but i plan to keep those in the TC and in an external hard drive that I already have, and i'll be making manual backups of them. So the idea is really to use the TC as a source for all my media also as a router. In fact I don't mind not to make backups of my Air on it, leaving all the 2TBs for movies and pics if thats necessary.

About the Synology and QNAP ones, they for sure are better NAS than the TC, but I don't fell I need all that. I just want to keep my files on the network to be able to access from my Air and My jailbroken ATV. My router needs some updates too, that's the reason I'm thinking of a TC.

My main concern is that I've heard that using the TC as a External drive will make it slow as hell. Is this true? I've tried to find something about using it as a NAS, but I just find infos about using it to backup.

Thank you guys!

6. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

I used to run a single-disk Synology with my PC and when I switched to OSX I found out it was too old to work with Lion so I replaced it with a 2TB Time Capsule for my iTunes library and photos, thinking it would cut the cake. It didn't. It's too slow, it spins down and doesn't work very well with AppleTV so wouldn't recommend it as a NAS.

Depending on yr storage needs I would go with a Synology 211 or 411

7. s1lv3r, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

s1lv3r thread starter macrumors member

s1lv3r

Thanks WhaAmI! So will change my plans and try to get a Synology as you guys say.

Propably will go for the DS212J, cheap and has some cool features

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I think that is a good choice. The TC does not make a good NAS due to its performance. It is fine (or even ideal) as a backup target, lousy as a NAS.

/Jim

9. s1lv3r thread starter macrumors member

s1lv3r

10. williamrodz macrumors newbie

Synology > Time Capsule

I just bought a Synology DS 212+ and two WD Red 3 TB (while they were in stock) for RAID 1 Setup. Anyways I will be using it for Time Machine back up on four Macs and Media Center. Right now I'm using a 1 TB USB WD Drive attached to my AirPort Extreme for Time Machine Backup on my MacBook Pro and it is SLOWWWW. I've read reviews online and think the Synology units are much better than Time Capsule.