Using Terminal to erase a hard disk because I cant boot from a DVD to reinstall Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macman2790, Aug 3, 2007.

1. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

i know that diskutil has alot of commands and im not sure how to use them, i would specifically want to know how to use eraseDisk properly. Or is there any other way to clean install tiger without using darwin? I know eraseDisk gives me a format to use but i never get it right for some reason.

diskutil eraseDisk "Journaled HFS+" MacintoshHD bootable /dev/disk0 -- this works
    i got it right now but it gives me this error:
    could not unmount disk for zeroing

holding down c doesnt work either.

2. macman2790 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macman2790

also i cant open the installer at all when os x is running, it gives an error that says "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this machine. Please consult the documentation for a list of supported macintosh computers."

just to let you know this is a Macbook pro core 2 duo

3. abrooks macrumors 6502a

What happens if you hold Option at boot? Can you select the Tiger disc?

Another possible method is to force the computer to boot off the disc by selecting it in the Start Disk preference panel.

Failing all that and you're desperate to just to format the drive, easiest way would be to hook it up to another Mac in Target Disk Mode and format it.

4. macman2790 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macman2790

the start disk method fails everytime so does option, it only shows macintosh hd

one more heartbreaking problem, my network adapter stopped working a month ago so i cant connect to another mac, i need to get that fixed

5. Camelot macrumors newbie

You can't erase the disk you're booted from. No OS will (or, at least, should) let you do that.

You can only erase your disk when booted from some other volume - either another disk, DVD or similar.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hopefully you have access to an external hard drive. Google for instructions to create a bootable, installable OSX installer image on a partition of a hard drive (you may have to borrow a recent Mac to set this up if yours is oos) and boot from the external hard drive to use Disk Utility, then reinstall.

7. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

I need to bump this, because this seems to have just saved me after hours of hassle.

My HD was broken. Completely. Corrupted Windows and OSX. Couldn't Paritition or Erase because "Resource Busy". Couldn't unmount the drive either because all options were faded out.

Tried to Target Disk to another computer, failed. I did the reverse and started up the other system from my computer.

So then I found this site, and tried the following command

diskutil unmountDisk /Volumes/disk0

Suddenly, I got this horrible error saying something about the disk being horribly corrupt and to do what you have to do or something to that effect. Partitioned it fine. Now I'm going to restart to see if this fixed it!

THANK YOU!!

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Halloween is over and yet this thread has risen from the dead! :eek:
    :D