Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hwelker2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Hi, I'm tring to follow these instructions

http://www.ofzenandcomputing.com/zanswers/358

to hook up to Xbox live.

On step one, it says type if config en0 into the application Terminal, and it will show something like "inet 1423.14214216474.1741....", but mine doesnt say it. This is what it shows:

Picture1-9.png

Why doesn't it show it?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!??!?! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
In your example, en0 is your ethernet port... are you connected to the internet via your ethernet port right now? You won't be able to share your network connection over airport and obtain your network connection over airport at the same time. Also you won't get an inet field for your interface unless you probe the interface with which you actually are connected to the internet.

hwelker2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
I have one computer (computer #1) with an airport, in one room. It gives a wireless network to another computer (#2), which is right next to an Xbox, which are both in another room. Im trying to connect an ethernet from the Xbox to computer #2, using computer #2 as a router to connect it to the network. Is this possible?

Thanks, hopefully this makes sense

p.s. basically you are saying i should go to computer #1, and use the terminal application to find the "inet" thing?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I don't even know if that will work (and I certainly don't think it's a good idea), but you should try this syntax instead...

ifconfig wifi0

Because, as you said, you are not connected (on that computer) to the internet via ethernet, as I said in my above post, which you don't appear to have actually read.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.