Using Terminal to find "inet"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hwelker2, Dec 25, 2008.

1. hwelker2 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm tring to follow these instructions

http://www.ofzenandcomputing.com/zanswers/358

to hook up to Xbox live.

On step one, it says type if config en0 into the application Terminal, and it will show something like "inet 1423.14214216474.1741....", but mine doesnt say it. This is what it shows:

[​IMG]

Why doesn't it show it?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!??!?! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In your example, en0 is your ethernet port... are you connected to the internet via your ethernet port right now? You won't be able to share your network connection over airport and obtain your network connection over airport at the same time. Also you won't get an inet field for your interface unless you probe the interface with which you actually are connected to the internet.

3. hwelker2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have one computer (computer #1) with an airport, in one room. It gives a wireless network to another computer (#2), which is right next to an Xbox, which are both in another room. Im trying to connect an ethernet from the Xbox to computer #2, using computer #2 as a router to connect it to the network. Is this possible?

Thanks, hopefully this makes sense

p.s. basically you are saying i should go to computer #1, and use the terminal application to find the "inet" thing?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't even know if that will work (and I certainly don't think it's a good idea), but you should try this syntax instead...

ifconfig wifi0

Because, as you said, you are not connected (on that computer) to the internet via ethernet, as I said in my above post, which you don't appear to have actually read.

5. hwelker2 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry. why isn't it a good idea? could something bad happen?

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Have you looked at the internet connection sharing options in system preferences?