Using the AJ-HDX900 with Final Cut Pro 6.0

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macman7002, Mar 10, 2009.

1. macman7002 macrumors regular

Hey sorry if this has been posted all ready, but I didn't find anything really relating to my question.

I am going to be editing a video for a client and the video will be shot using a Panasonic AJ-HDX900. I have never captured anything from this camera before nor have I edited anything in the DVCPRO HD format before, so this whole thing will be a new experience for me. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a run-down of what my workflow should be. i.e. how to capture the footage & what I need to capture the footage. And how to work with it in Final Cut Pro 6.0.0 i.e. what sequence settings to use. I am pretty sure we will be using a "camera to computer via Firewire" method, but how do I import the clips? And what format would be best to record in to make post-production smooth?

I would really appreciate any help I can get.
    Thanks in advance!!!

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I believe the HDX900 only shoots to DVCPro tape, so no P2 with clips to import.

Create a new project, set the scratch disk, and then choose a DVCProHD easy setup that matches the format being shot (720 vs 1080 and 23.976 vs 29.97 vs 59.94). You'll then be able to capture the tape as usual.

Keep everything in DVCProHD and you'll be fine.

I see you have a MBP... do you have an eSATA expresscard and an eSATA scratch disk to capture to?

3. macman7002 thread starter macrumors regular

Great! Thanks so much for your help! So it is relatively straight forward, to capturing process...

I do not have an eSATA express card. But I will be using a FW800 external drive.
    And thanks again, too, for your helpful reply!

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

The problem with going out to FW800 is that it is on the same bus as the FW400 port (which you'll be capturing from). You may choke up a bit and drop some frames. It is best to capture to a drive on a different bus.

You can try going out to FW800 and you may not have problems, but if you do, then this is your limitation.

5. macman7002 thread starter macrumors regular

I never thought about that. I may get an express card adapter now.
    And it sounds like we will be shooting 30p or 24p in DVCPro 100. Is DVCPro 100 the same as DVCPro HD?
    Thanks

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

7. macman7002 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh okay! Thanks
    and hey, question not regarding the HDX900 but Apple Motion.

Using Motion 3, I have created a slideshow of still photos. In my "Project Properties" I have the Pixel Aspect Ratio set at "NTSC D1/DV Anamorphic 1.20"

When I export as a QuickTime Movie using current canvas settings, and playback the exported movie, I get black bars on the sides of my screen, as if it is playing in full screen. What am I doing wrong that it is not playing in widescreen?
    Thanks

8. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

QT doesn't always recognize anamorphic pixels. press Cmd+J and go to the visual settings on the video track. adjust the aspect to be a 16:9 resolution. if the file is going to FCP, don't worry about anything. just import and check the anamorphic box in the browser.

9. macman7002 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, thank you for all your help and time! I really do appreciate it!