Using the 'Archive' mailbox for all archiving - good idea?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nubben, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Nubben macrumors regular

Nubben

Hi All,

Am trying to simplify my mail archiving and have been toying with the idea of having just one archive mailbox ('Archive') instead of having several, such as one called 'Non-personal' or 'Receipts'.

The idea with the 'Archive'-folder-only approach is that it will be easier to file them away in iOS 8 (with its nifty archive-gesture) but if I would like to read all e-mails from one year but only see my personal e-mail that would be a problem.

Does anyone have only one archive mailbox applying the above rule?

I should say I use iCloud mail and will not change to Gmail for instance.

Many thanks!

Regards.

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Do you have a Mac? You could use a Smart Mailbox folder. iCloud.com lets you setup rules to organize stuff into other folders otherwise. If you needed to do like a folder for receipts, you could have it look for dollar signs, "Qty", "tax", among other things.

That way you can use the gesture, but still keep things tidy.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have 100% of my incoming emails get forwarded (copied) to a Gmail account that I use for archive. This allows me to delete incoming email ruthlessly... because I can always log into my Gmail archive account and use its very powerful search functions.

I sacrifice privacy by letting Google see 100% of my email... but I don't lead that interesting of a life. ;)

I keep almost zero email around. It is almost 100% read & delete. I LOVE having an empty clean mailbox.

/Jim