Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tfannon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
I wanted to know if any of you guys are actively doing this? Dual booting with Bootcamp AND using Parallels and having it point to this partition. IMO: this is an AWESOME feature because you don't need to duplicate the space to have a native boot and a separate VM image.

However, I am wondering about how Windows and Office detect and deal with the hardware changes when you boot differently. How do you avoid getting into the "hardware has changed, please reactivate spiral"?

Thank you in advance for any help.

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK
I wanted to know if any of you guys are actively doing this? Dual booting with Bootcamp AND using Parallels and having it point to this partition. IMO: this is an AWESOME feature because you don't need to duplicate the space to have a native boot and a separate VM image.

However, I am wondering about how Windows and Office detect and deal with the hardware changes when you boot differently. How do you avoid getting into the "hardware has changed, please reactivate spiral"?

Once you have reactivated under bootcamp and parallels it should remain that way but hey this is windows!

Also you can suspend under parallels even with bootcamp for speed.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005

Once you've activated in Boot Camp, the first time you start it up in Parallels, you may need to reactivate once more. After that, you should be good. If you install an OEM copy of Windows, this will be a problem for you. If you have a retail or subscription copy, you should be fine.

Vexed

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
I'm running it that way right now on mine. I usually set it full screen and just swap back and forth between my desktops using the track pad functionality, it's virtually seamless.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
The problem with that setup is Parallels can't use it's suspend/resume feature, and you better be sure you "shut down" in Windows before you ever restart the computer. I for one LOVE the instant suspend/resume you get from having a dedicated Windows file for Parallels.

I still have a boot camp partition, but only for the occasional game.

riptideMBP

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2011
The dual setup works perfectly fine for me, though I admit I never use the suspend feature in parallels.

tfannon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
it seems to me you *can* suspend

you get a warning about not booting into bootcamp natively until you do a shutdown from the VM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.