Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glen.whitehead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
United Kingdom
  • Open Finder.
  • Press Cmd-K to bring up the "Connect to server" dialog.
  • Enter an ftp:// address
The FTP client then prompts for username and password, and these are automatically used the next time you attempt to connect to that ftp:// address

This works fine until you need to use a different username! How do you force the FTP client to prompt for a new username?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
  • Open Finder.
  • Press Cmd-K to bring up the "Connect to server" dialog.
  • Enter an ftp:// address
The FTP client then prompts for username and password, and these are automatically used the next time you attempt to connect to that ftp:// address

This works fine until you need to use a different username! How do you force the FTP client to prompt for a new username?
I'd use a different client myself, I've never had good luck using Finder to connect to FTP servers.
Finder used to prompt for username/password when required but you might be able to use one of the following:
ftp://username@ftp.server.com
OR
ftp://username:password@ftp.server.com
This functionality has never seemed to be super well maintained by Apple, so it may not currently work.

glen.whitehead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
United Kingdom
That worked perfectly, thank you!

The quantities of vulnerability/obsoleteness built into the world's mix of software encourages me to install no more than I need to. Take a look at this..

glen.whitehead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
United Kingdom
Transferring files insecurely is not a justification to permanently install unknown horrors on your Mac ;)

cURL appears to be pre-installed with MacOS with comprehensive support for FTP and other protocols, so I would use that if I need more than the Apple FTP client can deliver. There might even be a cURL GUI for Mac somewhere on the web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.