Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Red Sox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
I'm running Windows XP thru Boot Camp, and according to the Boot Camp Installation Guide, it says that pressing Fn + Delete on a mac keyboard is equivalent to the "Delete" key on PCs. This is not working for me, and it's pretty important that I have it working. Does anyone else have this problem?

The problem I'm having is on one of the new updated MacBooks, BTW.

Red Sox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Yes I did, twice. It's the only shortcut that doesn't work. I just don't get it. The Fn key does function with other keys, so it's not like its physically broken or anything.

Red Sox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Oh and I just realized that the Printscreen doesn't work either! I sure wish Apple would do something about this.

Red Sox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Try F14 for printscreen, I think it works on my Al iMac :)

MacBooks only have up to F12. According to the Boot Camp guide, F11 is the same as PrintScreen, but it doesn't work. F11 is assigned to a different function in many Windows programs , so I don't see how it would work anyways.

Red Sox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Until Apple fixes this problem, here's a great temporary fix:

http://www.autohotkey.com

I assigned (Command + Backspace) as Delete using this simple line of code:

#Backspace:: Delete

And then I put the script in my Startup folder so that it runs every time I boot windows.

I actually prefer this more than Fn + Backspace.

barneythedog

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
another workaround for printscreen

i am a pc guy originally, so the first time I hit this problem I ran the on-screen keyboard (I thought this was under accessories, but cant find it right now) - it is a bit annoying because you have to have it open, but you can put it way down at the bottom so that it is mostly off the screen, and still see the printscreen button.

Wind Owl

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
Until Apple fixes this problem, here's a great temporary fix:

http://www.autohotkey.com

I assigned (Command + Backspace) as Delete using this simple line of code:

#Backspace:: Delete

And then I put the script in my Startup folder so that it runs every time I boot windows.

I actually prefer this more than Fn + Backspace.

... Yeah but then you can't backspace a full word with Ctrl-Delete

carlrac

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2008
Ditto

Having the same problem on my MacBook...

I also find it really irritating that the fn key is where ctrl key is on most laptops, as it makes playing many games awkward (the main reason i bothered putting xp on my laptop!)

Anybody know any way of at least switching the command and ctrl keys so it's the same as OSX??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.