using the edu discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aethelbert, Jul 18, 2007.

1. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'm going to be buying a macbook early next week with my mom's education discount (she is a professor). I have the money for the notebook in my savings account but it needs to go either to my checking account or hers. I'm wondering if I will be able to pay for it myself or if she will have to use her debit card since she is the one who holds the posistion eligible for the discount. More or less, can I use her education discount or should we just act like it will be her computer until we leave the store?
    Thanks

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

she's the one that's eligible for the discount, not you? So she should be the person who is offically buying it. If asked, somebody has to be prepared to present an ID to prove eligibility for the discount, but beyond that they wont care if you use her credit card or yours.

3. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I went to the apple store to buy an iPod, and I forgot my student ID. They let me pay for it, but accepted my Dad's student ID for the discount. It might be different for a computer though, because of the obvious price difference.

4. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I doubt they'd care, as long as she's there in person and has her ID. I know from experience that they're strict about "carding," but if she's there... I seem to recall, but can't find it in print, that the discount can be extended to/used for family members of faculty.

5. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

If you can easily transfer it to her account, I'd just go ahead and do that. I'm usually in the better safe than sorry mindset.