Using the FX sensor crop sweet spot of a lens...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by compuwar, Jul 19, 2010.

1. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Ok, so I finally got my C-mount to F-mount adapter today. So I slotted on an 80mm f/2.8 Planar to it (the old Chrome Hasselblad "normal" lens for medium format) and decided to spend lunchtime testing the combination at f/2.8 in bad light just to see if this lens will work for me.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the results. I didn't think I'd get metering and focus indication with the adapter without chipping it, but after entering the manual information everything worked, though of course the Hasselblad focus ring goes the opposite way of Nikon rings, so the little green triangles pointed the wrong way to get to the dot. Not a big deal.

These are all hand-held grab shots, enough to give me a quick evaluation of the lens on my D3x, not really an all-out test. None-the-less I'm pleased with the results and am looking forward to trying some portrait shots as well.

Paul

Attached Files:

2. compuwar thread starter macrumors 601

compuwar

A few more shots

Here are a few more...

Attached Files:

3. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

4. compuwar thread starter macrumors 601

compuwar

A quick lunch session in bad light actually tells me more- I don't think that going with more color would help particularly. I used my new "normal" Kodachrome 64 film curves which reduce the color palate from the normal sensor gamut anyway.

Better light would have helped a lot, but overall I feel good enough about the combo that I'm likely going to toss a lens to add it to my pack after I compare it to my 80-200 and generate a profile for it.

That's the posting that got me on eBay looking at the adapters.

Paul

5. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I shot with my friend's 500C and her Sonnar 150mm - it would be my top choice if I ever did portrait work (for film). It could be another one to look at if your current experiment goes well. Around here you can grab lenses like that used for decent prices.

What was your focal point on the shot with all the valves and gauges?

6. compuwar thread starter macrumors 601

compuwar

I was looking at the 100mm Planar, but didn't want to dump a bunch of money into it too soon. I find 150mm a bit far for most of the places I shoot- and if I have the distance, I'd almost always just pull out the 400 prime, but the 'blad lenses are definitely going to start getting more serious looks when I come across them.

One of the valves in the middle was the focal point, though I'm thinking I may go back one day this week with a tripod and do some shots at f/5.6 and perhaps even create a focus stack. The focus throw of the lens is fantastic, so getting a good image that isn't a grab shot against a pillar will likely be worth-while.

Oh- I have to add that the shot of the worker at 1/30th at ISO 1600 surprised me a lot. I wasn't sure how high-ISO would look, but that's had no noise reduction added in post.

Paul