Using the HDMI port on Macbook Pro 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rimmi2002, Apr 6, 2011.

1. rimmi2002 macrumors member

I have 2010 Macbook pro. Bough and HDMI display adapter to connect it to my TV. I have audio and video working well.

I just switched over to OSX. With windows laptops you can pick which display to use (ie: Mirror, stretch, TV only or Laptop only) Its pretty easy to toggle between these modes.

On my macbook I can't seem to make it TV only. I can only mirror or have the display stretch to the TV. Is there anyway to choose the display on TV only?

Thanks for your help.

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Switching to clamshell mode is only way to only have display on external display. You can move the primary display to the external though by dragging the menu bar representation in the display setup to the other display.

3. c7aea macrumors regular

From what I understand is your happy with the way it looks on your tv you just dont want the display on the MBP too right? If that is the case just turn the screen brightness all the way down till it turns off "F1" or close the lid. But the 2nd option might make it run a little hotter

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If he wants to close the lid, he'll need the AC adapter plugged in, as well as have an external keyboard and mouse attached. These are required for clamshell mode.

5. rimmi2002 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into what clamshell mode is.I have an external mouse. No Keyboard. All I really need is an mouse to turn on movies and stuff. Is a keyboard required.

Also my TV setup is set to 720p, however this screen is slightly oversized for my TV. Is there a way to adjust the screen size with MBP. Again with windows there is a way to change aspect ratio to have the screen fit TV. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.