using the internal audio interface in 2010 MBP...

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by spencer elliott, Jun 26, 2010.

1. spencer elliott macrumors member

spencer elliott

has any one used the internal interface to record audio?

i ask because im currently saving funds to get an apogee duet and breakout box, but until then id like to at least use the internal interface.

i just bought propellerheads Record and im dying to run some audio through it and all the Reason devices.

so has anyone used the internal interface? is it ok or complete garbage..?

oh ive got a new 2010 macbook pro i7 15".

thanks

I don't use the internal audio interface in a 2010 MBP since I don't have a 2010 MBP, but I have used the internal audio interface in my 2006-2007 Black Macbook a little bit. I don't know if they're exactly the same, but I can't imagine the new one being any worse.

I've found that Apple has always had ok quality built in audio interfaces, at least among the products that I have come across. They're certainly not pro and you will definitely notice a huge difference between the internal and an Apogee Duet, but the internal interface is ok.

I wouldn't make an album with it, but for average uses for the average person, it's ok.

And if you're wondering how it is, why don't you just try it out? It should take you about 5 seconds to hook something up to your MBP and then you can find out for yourself. Since you're saving up for a duet, it's not like you have any other choice but to use it.

3. spencer elliott thread starter macrumors member

spencer elliott

thanks this helps

the reason i havent just done it is because my son took my studio space over for his room. hes 13 months old... anyway because of this my equipment (turntable, mixers, KP3, EH 2880, etc) has been put away and i havent had time to set it all back up.

4. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

For a quick demo type need you can't go wrong; I just recorded some ideas to garageband using the built in mic; sounds great! Now for any serious home studio work I do I turn to the Duet as the conversion will be far superior. I haven't done an A-B comparison but no complaints for what I was expecting.

5. thevibesman macrumors regular

I haven't used it for recording, but I can't stand the audio output quality on my 2007 Macbook Pro (and really haven't seen good things on any intel based macs--I really miss the sound cards that came with PPC, weren't amazing, but certainly useable). So as you can imagine, I would recommend avoiding it at all costs. But if it is a choice of trying out your software with what you've got or just doing nothing and sitting around until you get another interface: of course try it out and start learning your software.

6. spencer elliott thread starter macrumors member

spencer elliott

thanks for the replies

exactly what i was looking for