Using the internet without wifi question

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by pamela80, Jul 25, 2008.

1. pamela80 macrumors newbie

I wanted to know if there is a way to run the safari browser without wifi. Right now I have a wap proxy server on my pc to use my mobile phone browser, it just has my home cable modems ip address in the phone settings and connects to that and my proxy software to run the mobile web. Can something like this be done so I can use the internet on the ipod touch so I don't have to rely on wifi? Thanks!!

2. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

yeah.
    form my knowledge you cant "piggyback" connections through USB.
    sorry.
    try going out and buying a cheap router, that will deliver WIFI from your existing connection.

3. pamela80 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have a wifi router, but I was hoping there was a way to get the internet if I was out and away from my wifi signal, some sort of way to connect through a setup proxy on my home pc or however else other people do it.

4. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

nope.
    sorry.
    wifi is all the iPod Touch has.

you could always buy an iPhone off eBay...
    that has data (at huge costs).

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

If I understand correctly you want a way to use your PC proxy connection when you're away from internet sources?

In order to use your PC proxy you'll still need internet access at your location (and an open port or VPN access to your PC). If you were using a laptop you could use Wifi, wired, cell phone tethering, or a cellular access card (the latter two will incur fees from your cellular provider).

The iPod Touch does not have any options for accessing the internet other than through Wifi although there may be hacks to use wired via the dock and some adapter cables, and cell phone tethering would not be impossible as long as you had the right hacks and cables, assuming that they exist. To my knowledge there is no cellular connection card that utilizes the dock connector at this point in time although such a device coupled with a mic attachment and some VOIP software could provide almost iPhone like functionality albeit through a more awkward device but would only require a cellular data plan.

6. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

well then.
    ive certainly been upstaged. :eek:

7. pamela80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly! I have a wifi connection at home and I do have a cell phone I could tether with. I heard about this program called CCproxy some people without wifi use for their touch but I don't know if it's like my proxy program for my cell phone where I can be anywhere and it just connects to the mobile web using the address of my proxy on my home pc or if it's something where you have to be in your house to use it because you are still stuck on wifi signals. I just thought that maybe being I could do this with my cell phone to get the mobile web that maybe it's possible on the touch.

8. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'm a big fan of long winded mildly technical explanations that elicit many sighs and a lot of eye rolling from my wife and others. My kids are still too young to realize they should be bored by this and of course anything more technical than "the batteries are dead" just whizzes over their heads and elicits more "why?" questions. Someday they'll figure out that they can get an answer by asking daddy, but it will more than likely be more than they bargained for.

CCproxy is kind of like you have setup now. It takes a computer with an internet connection and effectively turns it into a router, if the computer also has Wifi it can make that computer into a Wifi router. Unfortunately when you're on the road you'd have to find some sort of adapter cable and/or hack in order to tether to your mobile phone. The only method that wouldn't require a cable of some sort would require your phone to have built in Wifi so that you could basically turn your phone into a Wifi router on your cellular data plan.

It would be an interesting setup, although at that point it almost seems like you really just need to get yourself an iPhone. :)

9. pamela80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I was hoping there was a way to do it without having an iphone. I only pay $9.99 for my family line so the $70 jump would be a big one for me. Thanks everyone though for helping me out.