Using the iPhone 3GS in Europe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rasher, Jul 20, 2009.

1. rasher macrumors newbie

So I'm planning a trip to the UK, France and Portugal in November. I'm pretty well versed in the workings of the iPhone and currently have a jailbroken 3GS 32GB. I can unlock it if necessary to use for any SIM card.

My questions are directed towards anyone who has traveled to Europe with an iPhone. I plan on using it primarily for data (GPS, etc).

What's the best way to use it for data, without racking up a huge bill? I looked on AT&T's website and their plans seem like crap.

Any advice?

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

You have just answered your own question. Unlock the phone and get in the euro simcard. Why would you bother with AT&T?

3. rasher thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't sure about data on the pay-as-you-go sim cards, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

4. C is for COOKIE macrumors newbie

I'm from Ireland so I'll help :)

Your best bet is to unlock it and when you get to the UK buy a Vodafone Sim. There's no point in getting an O2 (iPhone carrier in EU) because they don't have any networks in France or Portugal.
    If you go with Vodafone and will be in Europe up till the 31st August, there won't be any roaming charges on calls or texts if you're calling anyone within Europe. As for data, the European Union put an ever-shrinking cap on the amount a network can charge for data while roaming/calls/texts. The EU directive just started on Jult 1st so it is still a bit expensive for data. You'll pay about €6.50 for 25mb a day. It's charged at €6.50 for the first mb (in kb increments) and the rest of the 24mb are free so if you just pop on to check your e-mails or whatever and that uses a few kb, you'll only pay for those kb. You won't pay €6.50 unless you use the full mb or go over it :)

Vodafone is in the UK and Portugal so pick those networks when you get there and when you're in France, pick SFR. It's Vodafone's sister network. It's cheaper if you do this! Also remember that when you get your sim card, ask them to activate Vodafone Passport on it. That's the only way you'll get the no-roaming-rate promotion for calls/texts