Using the iPhone 3Gs to defend the iPhone 4S doesn't work

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dnkbro, Oct 4, 2011.

1. dnkbro macrumors regular

I've seen in several threads people defending and justifying Apple's choice to release a marginal update to the iPhone 4 by bringing up the transition from the iPhone 3G to the iPhone 3Gs. Here's the problem with that argument:

When the iPhone 3Gs was released, Android wasn't as popular nor were the handsets on par to what they are today. Apple just updated their iPhone and they are sticking with that design for at least the next year. One year from now, heck, 6 months from now, there will be android handsets that completely blow the iPhone 4s out of the water.

Discuss.

2. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

People are going to buy the 4S in truck loads and even 4 owners, apple will add to its huge pile of money and don't care if its an inferior product specs wise.

Look at the entire iMac/Macbook lines, massively inferior to a comparable PC in a price comparison, but people still spend extra to have an apple (preference of OS or just to be trendy are the usual two reasons for owning a mac).

Apples selling point is iOS, not really the hardware, android is a billion years being being a sleek, easy to use phone OS, its glitchy, and with no standardisation from one stock app to the next, ugly and often confusing to use.

At the end of the day, its a phone, if it lets me easily make calls, text, receive and send emails, I'm happy, the rest has pretty much migrated to my iPad.

6-8 hrs battery life however is the killer, my Samsung Galaxy Sii (which i moved to after my 3Gs contract was up because i was sick of the battery life on the 3Gs and people i knew with iPhone 4 had battery life issues as well, always having to find a charger by 2pm or have no power at 4pm) with use, lasts 14-16hrs (use means emails, texts, phone calls, checking facbook/twitter/g+ playing angry birds eternal warriors etc, listening to music and watching podcasts or tv shows on the way to work), my 3GS would be down to <60% battery life when i reached work 2 hrs after taking it off charge in the morning.

Id have liked to see a thicker iPhone, with double the battery capacity.

3. dnkbro thread starter macrumors regular

They will sell a lot of iPhones but that doesn't mean a sizable chunk of their customers/fans will be considering other devices and eventually lose market share.