Using the iPhone 4 camera more makes me even more frustated with the current OS...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samcraig, Sep 16, 2010.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

I posted this when I first got my iPhone 4 and OS 4.0

I hate that Apple changed how photos are sent. When you emailed using the share function - it would send as an IMAGE.JPG file. Fine.. I could live with that. If you (like I did) used copy and then pasted into an email - it would send it with the ACTUAL file name.

It's very annoying to send files that are all named the same. And there's little to no reason they can't solve this easily.

The more I use the iPhone camera and the apps - it would be really nice to have unique file names when emailing.

/end rant

2. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

It's hard to believe that more people haven't posted or complained about this - especially with all the camera/photo and OS threads. Over 150 people read this thread too. Maybe people agree but just don't chime in or it's not as serious as other issues people want fixed.

In either event - it's a glaring and silly omission in the OS that I can't see Apple having any reasoning behind.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Make sure to post to Apple's Feeback in the iPhone section (Google Apple Feedback). That will give it a greater chance of being fixed.

5. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

I was beginning to think I was the only one who had this problem because I had not seen anyone complain about it, so now I am glad I saw this thread!

I experienced this very thing several weeks back before I got my iPhone 4. I used my friends iPhone 4 to take some pictures of his new car and to get them emailed to me. I took a total of about 10 pictures and got them sent in 2 emails. When I viewed the emails to grab the images - every single picture was labelled as "image.jpg" - WTF!!! So now after saving each one one by one, I had to re-label them so the new one being saved wouldn't overwrite the previous picture. Gosh what a laborious task that was!

Also the other thing that really annoys me about Pictures is that I have several folders that sync of various different images, and they are not organised in file order - I specifically named them so that they show up in a certain order. Even the camera roll itself which has consecutive numbers for each image taken is all over the place. Pictures from years ago appear towards the end while pictures taken last month etc are scattered all over the place. in iOS 3.x all the pictures in all the folders are in alphabetical order. You would think moving to a new iOS would have the previous improvements and then some - not be more screwed up.

Now having my own iPhone 4 I have experienced the black thumbnail issue as well.

Apple royally screwed up the whole Pictures/Camera Roll on iOS 4 and they need to seriously get their act together and sort out all the bugs.

6. mattkowalski macrumors member

Agreed - how hard would it be to add some basic ordering? Even if it was just 'by date taken' and 'by filename'

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

It wouldn't be. Just like it wouldn't be hard to retain the actual filename. I guess "places" was more of a priority. Silly nonsense to me.

8. Scuby macrumors regular

The whole Photos app needs a lot of work, and i can't believe that Apple wouldn't be working on it, particularly if you consider the potential capability of the iPad with the Camera Connection Kit.

It desperately needs a way to sort and rearrange photos, and allow other apps to access the full photos with all of the metadata, rather than just a reduced resolution copy. And how come my old iPod Nano had an interface for giving a star rating to my audio tracks with a 2" screen and a clickwheel, yet he multi-touch much larger screen devices can't do anything similar with photos?

I did try putting some of my photos on the iPad when i got it, but to actually get them on there in any sensible organisation would need so much effort i just gave up and don't bother any more.

As someone alse already commented, i'd much rather they bothered with some basic functionality rather than Faces and Places which, while they may look nice during a keynote, aren't actually that useful compared to lots of other much more basic functionality. (I do use both Faces and Places on my Mac, but they're rarely an effective way of navigating a library)

David

9. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Agreed. They added HDR technology to their OS which clearly means they are positioning the camera on the iPhone as a go-to device for taking pictures so why is the app so limiting??

10. Russell L macrumors regular

Russell L

My biggest complaint is that you can't see a photo's metadata via the iPhone--just simple time and date stamp would be fine. C'mon, Apple--how hard would it be to do this? Just add a simple "i" in one of the corners that, when tapped, would flip the photo over to reveal the metadata.

11. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

That too. I'm sure Steve's response would be that most users have no need for exit data and that it would confuse them. Grrrrrr

12. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Absolutely. I'm about to buy an iPhone 4, and this will REALLY bug me. :(

13. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I hope everyone sends feedback to apple

14. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Agreed, this is something that I am having a hard time understanding as well.