Using the iPhone as a better iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kermit4161, Sep 15, 2007.

1. kermit4161 macrumors regular

Okay, so I've finally accepted that I'll never be able to use an iPhone as a phone here in Wyoming. But I'd like to try and use it as a more functional PDA than the Touch appears will be.

Is there a way to get the iPhone working without signing up with AT&T?

T-Mobile doesn't even offer coverage out here (my first idea). So I can't activate it with anyone... even if I could get it unlocked.

Any ideas, or should I just hope that the iPod Touch will be hacked to allow use of applications.

Thanks

2. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

For about the 5th time today, use independence to activate, assuming you are a mac user.

Google: code google independence

First link will be what you need. Download the app, activate iphone, enjoy as a touch ipod with extras.

edit - what part of Wy are you in? Was out in Casper this summer for a few weeks. You can roam on Tmoble there with data even. Didnt have an iPhone then, so cant say about it working there on ATT.

3. kermit4161 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I must have missed the Independence app stuff.

I'm up in Sheridan. Although I've heard about roaming on T-Mobile (from a friend, who has a friend down in Cheyenne that uses it), T-Mobile's site lists the area as roaming in 850mhz mode... and if used excessively, would result in additional fees or something like that. I was thinking that 850mhz mode was refering to CDMA, which of course the iPhone won't do.