Using the iPhone as your main MP3 player

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by achtungfemme, Jun 14, 2010.

1. achtungfemme macrumors member

I am upgrading to the iPhone 4 ( I currently have the 1st gen iphone and I did have a 30GB video ipod) I sold the video ipod, because I am going to make the iphone 4 my primary ipod and phone (less clutter)

My question is for those who also use their iphone as their primary music listening device, as I have a couple of concerns about this:

(1) The headphones - what do you do with them? Do you wrap them around the phone or take them out after you are done and put them in a case?

(2) If you do take them out everytime, how does this affect the headphone port? Will all the constant putting the headphones in and taking them out eventually short out or destroy the heaphone port?

Any feedback on people who use the iphone as their primary ipod would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Built macrumors 68020

I still have my 1st gen iPhone, as well as my 3G.

I tend to trash the headphones...I have to replace them every so often.

I haven't had any problems with the headphone jack...

I ended up buying a 64GB touch because when I began using the iPhone as my primary player, I got tired of text messages and calls when I'm in the gym...it's very distracting.

3. jhiner macrumors regular

Airplane mode comes in handy, in that case.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I put my in-ears in the case they came with when I'm not using them, because I break earbuds fairly quickly, too (it helps... a little). I think the likelihood of destroying the headphone jack is very low....

5. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

I use mine as my main music player, and like the above poster said I just put it in airplane mode when I'm busy (at the gym, in a meeting, etc). Never had any problems with the headphone jack, but the headphones themselves are garbage and will break.

6. ethical macrumors 68000

I use my 3G as my MP3 player...

Haven't had any problems with the headphone jack after 19 months of constant in and out. When I'm not listening to music or using my phone, the iPhone is usually in my right pocket, and the headphones I wrap around 4 fingers to make a nice loop, and place them in my left pocket. Wrapping them up like that helps prevent them getting in a tangle. I've gone through one set of Apple headphones - the earpiece on one of them detached from the rest of the body, so I replaced them with the ones from my Shuffle (so still have the controls). But I can feel that they're starting to go too.

7. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

I'm looking to get an iPhone 4 to replace my 1st Gen iPod Touch, I know its not exactly an iPhone but I unplug the headphones several times each day and my 3.5mm headphone port still works fine. Right now i just wrap the headphones around my Touch but when I get the iPhone I will do as you said and put them away in a case when I'm not using them,

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have a pair of Shures. The Apple earbuds are c.r.a.p. So when I'm done listening I put my Shures back in the case they came with.

I am sure if you plugs your headphones in and out 50 times a day it would cause premature wear but who does that? Doing it once or twice, even three times a day is no prob. I think you are being a little OCD.

9. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I've seen a lot of abuse on the headphone jack, i think they engineer these to be pretty robust. The original iPhone that my son has and the 3G that my wife has have both been yanked around by the jack several times, crashed to the ground etc.

When I am done with music my earbuds or my over the ear noise canceling 'phones get put away.

10. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I use my White 3GS 32GB for everything, I gave my iTouch 16GB to my son, and now that I am getting my Black 32GB i4, I will give my iPhone 3GS White 32GB to my other son.

I use my iPhone for everything, and I use MobileMe so I rarely even connect it to iTunes, so basically I have everything backed up.

I hate carrying multiple devices or keeping more than one device :rolleyes:

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I use the phone as my iPod (which also kills me that they don't have a 64GB yet).

Headphones I throw in my pocket or on my desk, but always unplug if I'm not actually listening to the iPod.

I generally grab by the plug, not the wire, so I'm not worried about wrecking them like that. Like I said, besides the space issue for me, there's no real drawback to using the phone as your primary iPod. If you ARE listening to it all day, I'd do a recharge int he afternoon so you don't run out of juice later in the evening.

12. Built macrumors 68020

I'm aware of Airplane mode, but I'd rather just get a separate player.

For 16GB it's just not worth it when there is a 64GB Touch available, and I can well afford it.

Plus the Touch has MUCH greater battery life. This way, when I leave the gym, my phone is all ready to go and not drained.

13. fishmoose macrumors 68000

1. I have the Apple in-ear ones when I'm out and about so I put them in the case that came with them.

2. I don't think so. I had my iPhone 3G for 2-years and besides there being some crap from my pants in the jack it's fine.

14. Hovey macrumors regular

I've used my iPhone as my primary ipod since Dec, 2007. I still have the original headphones. I plug them in and out all the time. I run with them too. Through down pours, freezing cold and snow, etc and have been fine. I even accidentally sent them through the washer and dryer and are fine. My headphone jack seems to be just fine after 2.5 years of lots of plugging and unplugging.

15. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

I have a 120GB iPod Classic because 32GB doesn't even begin to hold all of my music. Neither does the 120GB for that matter, but it comes closer.

16. Simbazz macrumors regular

Anyone slide their headphones through the underneath of their t-shirts so the earphones hang out of the t-shirt and then its connected to the iPhone in your pocket?

I rarely have my iPhone on my person without the headphones being connected, in the house they're not, but out of the house, I have that permanent arrangement.

17. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I do that at the gym so it doesn't get caught, but otherwise it is a bit "tool" looking in my opinion. :eek: