Using the iPhone overseas...Unlocking? Jailbreaking??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Crunch, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

Hi all...I'd like to know what the difference between the traditional "unlocking" procedure is, compared to jailbreaking the iPhone. I need mine unlocked, i.e. the SIM lock so I can use it with NON-AT&T SIM's.

AT&T has given me TONS of unlock codes for all kinds of phones, even Blackberry's. This has never been a problem. However, the last rep told me they didn't have the unlock codes for the iPhones, and she gave me a number for Apple.

Does that mean Apple has them and is willing to give them out??

Also, jailbreaking. I understand that is so I can install third-party apps outside the AppStore. Does this procedure also make it possible to use NON-AT&T SIM's in an iPhone from AT&T??

All of you guys who want to eventually travel with your iPhones will want to use a pre-paid SIM in a foreign country as well, no?

Thanks all for your help! I need a resolution for this ASAP! ;)

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

no, just unlock it yourselfm do a quick search on this forum and you will find EVERYTHING you need to do it.. ijust finished pwning my 2nd gen phone like 20 minutes ago...all info from this forum

3. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

4. Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

Crunch

Awesome! :) Thank you. So with the information here, I will find as to how to SIM unlock it, yes? That's my main concern.

I really appreciate the super-fast response. I just went for a cup of coffee and you popped up on my phone. This place is grrrrreat! ;)

5. s1k0 macrumors newbie

s1k0

Heyy :)

The iPhone 3G is currently unlockable but sure will be in the future. Currently the only iPhones 3G that are unlocked are the ones being sold in stores:mad:. I doubt apple would give unlock codes ( if there is such things for them) because i'm not sure if this would work if someone leaks them they could unlock everyones iPhones with out jailbreaking?? but i doubt they exists :p. anyways good luck:)!

**EDIT**
    Sorry i forgot to mention that there are these program chips you can buy on the net that you slip with your sim card into the sim tray and into the iPhone i forgot what they are called but i heard the current ones have a design flaw that are bigger then what they should be. For range of prices im not sure. I hope i helped:p
    Last thing you will be able to unlock you iPhone with no problems

6. Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

Crunch

What do you mean?? If you get an iPhone 3G in a STORE, it's unlocked????

7. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

So his reply you see, but mine you ignore? :p

Anyway, there are countries in which selling locked phones isn't allowed, so you can buy them unlocked in the stores, like in France and India, but they are much more expensive, because the provider isn't subsidizing the cost.

Here, you can only buy them locked to AT&T, and there isn't a way to unlock it yet.

8. Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

Crunch

Oops, my sincerest apologies, fellow Southern Californian. ;) Where there's a will....you know the rest hehe...it MUST be unlocked.

Does your iPhone 3G give you the widespread problems that have been reported? Also, do you know if there is a way to go back to 2.0.1??

9. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

really i was pretty sure you could use the pwnage tool to unlock the 3g too...

10. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Unless there's been a breakthrough that no one is discussing on MR, that's not the case. Jailbreak yes, unlock no.

No worries, I was just yanking your chain. :)

No, I haven't had any problems, and I have three local friends with the 3G, and they haven't had a problem either. I know some have, but no one I know in person.

11. s1k0 macrumors newbie

s1k0

Ntombi i guess im just more loved:)..jks:p
    This is what you could do if you want an iPhone 3G unlocked really bad. Search the official iPhone 3G Unlocked Carriers in the countries that are selling them ( as mentioned above and more.) If you are planning to buy it(make sure you are able to buy it first with your credit card!) Setup up a mail forwarder and forward it to your address:) i am sure that would work!

No there is no possible way the everyone knows on how to unlock the 3G yet

12. Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

Crunch

First of all, I love you all equally as much! :D :D

I noticed a bunch of auctions on the German ebay site, and they're selling these strange looking SIM cards, which supposedly unlock the iPhone 3G. They make it sound extremely easy, so I sent a message to three of these sellers. Is that a scam? Have you guys heard of this before?

All my love! ;)