Using the iPhone with your motorcycle.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Bronx Bull, Jan 27, 2012.

1. The Bronx Bull macrumors member

For a while now, I've been looking for a complete solution to increasing communicative functions while riding my motorcycle. I currently have just a set of speakers that allows me to listen to music, and I can also hear when incoming calls are ringing, as well as text message chimes. But I wanted to take it to the next level, since I'm going to grab a 4S with Siri.

I just purchased one of these Sena SMH10's:

http://www.amazon.com/Sena-Bluetoot..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1327608709&sr=1-1

Basically, it's a Bluetooth module that gets mounted to your motorcycle helmet, and is capable of pairing with the iPhone; from here, you can issue commands into the microphone, listen to music, take and receive calls, and get voice commands via a GPS app, write text messages (via Siri)

My questions for the iPhone app experts:

1) I haven't gotten Siri yet, but lets say I'm just riding down the road listening to music and I want to make a command, do I have to hold the home button of the iPhone in my pocket to begin dictation, or is there an easier way to start talking to Siri?

2) GPS. I want to have an excellent GPS voice app on my iPhone, that is not only capable of issuing turn-by-turn voice directions to my earphones, but taking voice commands as well. Let's say I'm riding down the road headed towards North Oracle, and I say "Redirect me to 145 Valencia" - is there an app that can do this? Are there any GPS apps that Siri can interact with? What are my best options here?

3) Based on this system, are there any other cool things I'd be able to do while riding?

Thanks guys!

2. WHM macrumors regular

I also ride motorcycles and have the Sena SHM10 and the iPhone 4S. I have never tried to use Siri but you can push the phone button on the Sena and voice control the phone to make and end calls. I use the Garmin Summo as my GPS on my Harley and prefer to see the maps without worry about rain and trying to use my phone for that

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Might I suggest simply enjoying the ride. :D

4. The Bronx Bull thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! I have to ask, with all of the increased functionality that Siri would offer, haven't you been tempted to try it out? :D

So the "phone" button on the SMH10 - do you know exactly how it interacts with the iPhone? If you hold it, does it activate Siri?

5. guidove macrumors newbie

Hi WHM,

Your questions are very specific :)
    I recently wrote an article rating 13 navigation apps for Motorcycle Use. I didn't find an app that takes voice commands although I have to admit I was not looking for it. If you found one I'd be very interested in it.

Nevertheless I thought the article might be interesting for you (and other here) so here's a link to it. Hope you'll find in interesting.

GPS Motorcycle Navigation Apps for iPhone – 13 of the best apps reviewed

Cheers,
    Guido