Using the ipod itouch to send text messages?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by efedor, Jun 11, 2008.

1. efedor macrumors regular

I searched this question but received no hits so I have to bother you guys, Can the itouch be used to send text messages to cell phones, like meebo allows you to send instant messages? Thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you are connect via WiFi, then there are plenty of sites out there that allow you to send text messages for free, but I dont think you be able to get any response.

3. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

if you have the mail app it's really easy but it's doable if you don't have it. if you don't have it just go to a place where you can email in safari. ok all you need to do is send your text message to (10digitnumber)@teleflip.com. so if the cell number i was trying to text was 222-333-4444 i would send a message to 2223334444@teleflip.com. Thats it. if the person responds then it will be sent to your email. it's the best way i've found.

4. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Using the above example, you can send a text message to a phone from AIM (meebo or whatever other website you use) by adding +1222333444 as a buddy.

5. efedor thread starter macrumors regular

So I went into yahoo instant messenger and it didn't allow me to use it as a new contact, It said "unknown failure" I put it under contact 1234567890@teleflip.com What am I doing wrong:(

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

because it doesn't work that way with an instant messenger. Reread the thread.

7. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Using an IM client, you don't need the @blahblahblah bit. Just add a "+1" to the front of the 10-digit phone number and you should be good to go.

8. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

If it is verizon, it should be @vtext.com

and it is an iPod touch

9. iwannamac macrumors member

I came for the "ZOMG! It's an IPOD TOUCH!"

I was not disappointed.

10. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

:rolleyes: ;)

11. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

[​IMG]

12. bluechipBMW macrumors member

Agree...I actually created a group called cell phones and added the numbers as emails so I can text message from my ipod touch. As you said..verizon is @vtext.com but I am not sure what it is if it's att or tmobile.

13. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

there ia a webapp for this, and it will add the right @address.com
    I dont know where it is thou

14. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Seriously, using AIM is the easiest way to do this. if the person's phone number is 212-555-1212 then you add a contact with the name +12125551212 and you can send text messages as IMs. The phone you send a message to will get the text, along with something telling them they can reply. I did it all the time from my laptop when I lived in Germany and my then-girlfriend (now wife) was in the States. I tested it out last night and it works perfectly with the touch.