Using the LED for video

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrjayd, Jun 25, 2010.

1. mrjayd macrumors regular

The LED is great for video. Very bright and colors comes out great but.....
    I haven't tested on people yet but tested with my dog and bird and the LED just lights up their eyes very badly. I mean it looks like they have LED's for their eyes. Doesn't look good at all. They look like aliens.
    What can we do to fix this? I mean it's almost unwatchable.

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You are seeing the reflection off of the back of the eye because the pupils are wide open. Turn on some lights to close the pupils and don't aim directly into someones eyes. Otherwise turn off the flash. It's a problem with any camera where the flash is next to the lens.

3. mrjayd thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I know the theory behind it, I am a photographer also (well not professionally anyway) I was just pointing out that it's very bad using the LED for video with this phone when shooting eyes. And if I wanted to turn on some lights I wouldn't need the LED. I would just use the LED when there is not enough light or no light at all. It's just bad when shooting something with eyes.
    Just pointing out my testing.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Fair enough. It's pretty typical of all P&S cameras. :)

5. mrjayd thread starter macrumors regular

Well not so much anymore with all the red eye reduction features these days. I haven't got any shining eyes in years from any of the many different P&S cameras I have owned. But I imagine the phone cameras will get better in time. The flashes on the phones are basically just get started.