Using the mac to send iphone 4 texts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by morty192, Dec 10, 2010.

1. morty192 macrumors regular

Is it possible to receive texts that have been sent to my iphone 4 on my mac and reply them so that I dont have to reach for my phone every time i hear i have received a new sms??

I am not jailbroken so veency isn't an option.

Many Thanks

Morty192

2. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

In your situation, there is no way that I've discovered to reply to text messages using your Mac. Sorry.

3. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

this gets asked like every week, do a search

the answer is no, used e-mail,skype,aim,etc

4. rrandyy macrumors 6502

I disagree with the previous posts.

I think you can do this regardless of jailbreak. I used to do it with BluePhoneElite. It uses bluetooth to send/receive SMS and doesnt need any special app installed on the phone.

The author no longer sells the app, but you may be able to find it for sale elsewhere or contact the author directly.

5. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Another option would be to consider Google Voice. I use my GV number for all of my texting from both my computer and my phone.

6. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I read the OP's post far more narrowly than some. From what I have been able to determine, there is no way to use a Mac to respond/reply to the standard SMS texts on a non-jailbroken iPhone 4.

7. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

There's no way, unfortunately.

In Tiger, you could send/receive texts through Address Book. They removed that in Leopard for some reason...I don't know if the iPhone ever worked with it.

8. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I reach over once, see who it's from, then reply to them from AIM (sms via AIM). The convo continues on AIM from there.

9. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I do to. Google Voice is very versatile, fast, and quite useful. One can do a lot of different tasks with it. It seems that many have overlooked how powerful it is.

10. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I'm gonna second Google Voice. Perhaps I'm just a n00b at Google beyond the search engine, but I was dumbfounded when I installed the plug-in and was able to make free calls to any US number from my browser.

The web app has a built-in SMS feature, too. Ultimately, I've killed my text messaging plan, saving me upwards of $20 a month, and I use TextNow and Talkatone for text messaging and phone calls over 3G/Wi-Fi on the iPhone, and using the desktop web app on my MacBook Air.