Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazzer21-2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
I'm sure you used to be able to do this in the good old days of OS9, but now I've got a Magic Mouse that can't be used when plugged in to charge, I wondered if this was an OSX thing I'd missed. Is there a way to tab through the buttons of an open window (say a File Dialogue Box) with keystrokes as opposed to using the mouse? I see that if you Cmd-Tab you can switch between open applications, but haven't delved any deeper than that so far. Can it be done. On the latest version of Sierra.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I'm sure you used to be able to do this in the good old days of OS9, but now I've got a Magic Mouse that can't be used when plugged in to charge, I wondered if this was an OSX thing I'd missed. Is there a way to tab through the buttons of an open window (say a File Dialogue Box) with keystrokes as opposed to using the mouse? I see that if you Cmd-Tab you can switch between open applications, but haven't delved any deeper than that so far. Can it be done. On the latest version of Sierra.

I think in MacOS 9, or maybe it was 5, 6, 7, I don't know... You could press something five times, then you could use the arrow keys instead of mouse. It has been so long, I can not remember exactly...I just remember there was a way to do it.

Anyway, on to the solution.....

"OS X Yosemite: (appears to work in SIERRA as well) Control the pointer using MouseKeys. When Mouse Keys are on, you can move the mouse pointer and press the mouse button usingthe keyboard or numeric keypad. To quickly turn Mouse Keys on or off, press Option-Command-F5, then select or deselect the Enable Mouse Keys checkbox."

SOLUTION SNAGGED FROM:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18381?locale=en_US

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

There's an option on the Shortcuts tab of the Keyboard Preference widget to enable this... setting this option to ALL CONTROLS should allow you to tab through every item on the page/dialog box.

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 10.53.30 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.