Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
You'll want to get yourself something like the EyeTV Hybrid. That'll give you a DTV tuner as well as an analogue tuner and analogue inputs for use with things such as your PS2. I have one and use it with my Wii to much success. :)

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Just watch out for latency... if the screen lags behind the gameplay too much...

That was more of a problem with the older USB1 TV cards that had to compress the image to fit down USB1's 11Mbps bandwidth. They were useless for gaming. The new decent USB2 puppies don't have to encode the information to fit down the cable because of the much higher bandwidth available to USB2 devices. I haven't noticed any lag whatsoever whilst playing my Wii on my Elgato EyeTV Hybrid. :)

Skaff

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2007
Will the hybrid also allow digital high def for the PS3 and Xbox360? And just say I'm using a MacBook, will the display quality as good as a regular 13" digital HDTV? Sorry, one more question - will it be important to have lots of RAM i.e, 2GB?

Thanks!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Will the hybrid also allow digital high def for the PS3 and Xbox360? And just say I'm using a MacBook, will the display quality as good as a regular 13" digital HDTV? Sorry, one more question - will it be important to have lots of RAM i.e, 2GB?

Thanks!

No. At present, there are no (cheap) HD component input devices. The video in on the Hybrid is standard-def only. The display quality of my Wii on my MacBook Pro is actually slightly WORSE than on my standard-def 27" TV. (Because the MBP screen doesn't actually make a good SD screen, combined with the fact that I'm sitting right up next to it, making the flaws more noticeable.) A friend with a 24" iMac says his Wii looks just fine and dandy on it, since he sits a reasonable distance away.

If you have a Mac Pro, though, for $250, you can get a Blackmagic Intensity, which has HDMI input for your PS3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.