Using the new touch as as iPhone (almost)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by superdudeo, Sep 26, 2012.

1. superdudeo macrumors regular

I carry another phone on me constantly (work phone) and it has the ability to be tethered from as a wi fi hotspot.

Obviously I wouldn't be able to make calls from the Touch but being constantly tethered to this phone would carry 90% of the functionality of owning an iPhone 5 is what I am thinking. Of the time spent on my iPhone, making calls and sending texts takes up about 5% of the time I spend using it.

Also, from the speed tests I've seen and having played with the iPhone 5, there is negligible difference in real world speed between the A5 and newer A6 so I don't think that's much of a factor.

What does everyone think?

2. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I am just the opposite - I don't feel the need to be tethered to a portable phone every minute of the day, everywhere I go. I use the Touch to make calls whenever I am on a WIFI or WIMAX signal, which is just about everywhere these days (gas stations, carry-outs, restaurants, hotels, etc). I also receive calls on my Touch when I want to. For me the Touch is the perfect phone solution because it's free - no need to be tied to the cellular giants.

3. 617aircav Suspended

If it works for you and you have wifi everywhere great. Personally I wont carry 2 devices everywhere I go, it's just a hassle.

4. Partcloud macrumors newbie

I'm with you. Currently I use a pay-as-you-go phone plus my laptop to make calls. Do you manage to live completely without a cell phone? If so, what Apps/Services/Accessories do you have for your iPod touch to make it a reality? I'll be getting the new touch and would really like to be cell phone free.