Using the passcode in your iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fstigre, Jun 11, 2010.

1. fstigre macrumors regular

fstigre

Hi,

I have been using my iPhone without a passcode and last night I was wondering as to how secure a 4 digit passcode will be and maybe start using it. I noticed that it also has an option to erase the data after 10 wrong attempts which is nice, but here is where my questions came.

1- If for some reason I forget my passcode and I start guessing but after 10 attempts I don’t put the right code my data will be erased but, will I be able to restore all of my data if I connect it to my computer (iTunes) without the passcode?

2- I how hard would it be for someone to by-pass the 4 digit passcode?

Thanks a lot

2. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

My wife secured my iPhone 2G, forgot the password and backed it up... Lost everything. She's got her own iPhone now and doesn't touch mine.

3. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

1) If you forget and wipe your phone you can restore it from iTunes. I have done this.

2) How many combinations of 0 - 9 are there with 4 digits. Enable wipe after 10 (less if you use the iPhone Configuration Utility if you want) and they won't get in. The only way around is to delete a file on the device which can only be access by jailbreaking, installing openssh, joining a wifi network and logging in.

There are other ways that include custom RAM disks but the average joe bloggs is gonna flash your device and flog it.

4. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre

First of all thank you very much for your help!

It looks like it is a good idea to anable this option.