Using the Pencil to annotate documents?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kat.hayes, Mar 23, 2016.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

i want to use an iPad Pro and the Pencil to annotate on word documents, pages documents, power points, keynotes, PDFs, etc.

I opened a pages document and didn't see an option to annotate. Are only certain programs supporting this right now? Is there a way to annotate on any document in any program using the same technique?

Thanks.

2. Cascades42, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016

Cascades42 macrumors 6502

I always export things as PDFs to annotate. My preferred app is Notability as I can add extra pages as required, sort documents into notebooks and so on. As far as I'm aware it's not possible to annotate non-PDF documents.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'm not sure you can annotate Office files, only PDFs. My data may be outdated on this, but I haven't been able to do what you are wanting.

4. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is unfortunate. I'd figured/hoped it would recognize the pencil and enter annotation mode on its own. I think that's how my oooooold tablet pc use to work and I think my old note3 did this also...

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Programming wise, handling annotations directly on a word processing document isn't so simple. Say you circle a word, then later, you change the font size. Now the circle has to change size and position to stay with the word you circled. Not simple at all.

6. dsampley macrumors regular

dsampley

If you have the Microsoft office apps, you can use the pencil inside those apps to mark them up. For example, I was able to sign a Microsoft Word document inside the Word app on my iPad Pro.