Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
For any of you advanced unix users out there -

I tried to use the "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly" command under my standard user account. It asked for my user's password after warning me about the consequences of the "sudo" command. I typed in my standard user password, and this is what I got.

"user john is not a sudoer. This incident will be reported"

Reported to whom?! :p

Where does it store the info that I attempted to run the "sudo" command?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Where does it store the info that I attempted to run the "sudo" command?

It goes on your permanent record like all the bad choices you made as a kid.

Actually, it just goes to a log file so a real sudoer can see if someone has been trying to mess with this machine.

B

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Well, normally I'd expect it to go into the /var/log/auth.log, but taking a peek in the Terminal it doesn't appear OSX has one of those :)

So in this case it looks like the message remains from the original UNIX source code but the report itself goes nowhere. Unless anyone else can track the trail and find its final resting place.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I thought it would go in the form of a system mail message (that you access using "mail"), but it doesn't seem to be the case. Unless it shows up in that form when you login as root?

MagicUK

macrumors regular
May 12, 2007
Hampshire, England
No doubt Homeland security has been informed. What size orange jump suit would you like :D.

Dam forgot they can extradite us UK bod's. I take it all back Mr Bush Sir.

FrankBlack

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Looking for Lucy Butler
You can read all the system and security logs in the console application. It's in Applications/Utilities.

No need to panic. There won't be any black helicopters over your house, and no guys who look like agents of the Matrix out to get you. Your use of Sudo as a non-admin just gets logged, that's all.

I've worked in some companies where the IT departments are indeed run like little Fiefdoms, and mere mortals aren't allowed to do much of anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.